AAHH!! front tire

7 replies to this topic
  • uw153

Posted July 09, 2003 - 02:47 AM

I screwed up when I ordered a front tire for my "L". I ordered an 80-90-21 front tire "Pirelli M21", oh well it's here so now I'm stuck, I am taking the bikes on vacation with me to Montana so I have to use it. Anyway, I've pinched two tubes installing it. Can anyone give me some tips!!!?? Man I should buy some stock in tube manufacturers!
HELP!! :)

• jws

Posted July 09, 2003 - 04:07 AM

http://www.clarity.n...nging-dirt.html

jeff :)

• sunnymex

Posted July 09, 2003 - 07:17 AM

First tip, don't use the stock tubes. They are much too thin. Buy some Bridgestone heavy duty tubes. As for pinching them, I usually put a little air in there first and then be real careful. Soap usually makes the tire slip on alittle easier also. Before changing the tire, leave it in the sun about an hour before changing, it will get alittle softer and hence easier to install. These tips are even better when having to wrestle a nasty rear tire.

Second tip, do not hurry or rush the process. This undoubtedly will cause a pinch.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

• uw153

Posted July 09, 2003 - 10:49 AM

Thanks guys, that's my problem, I'm not lubing the crap out of it when I put the last bead on. Next time...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PeterJ

Posted July 09, 2003 - 01:34 PM

uw153,

When using your tire irons, try not to pry them up any further than straight up. After the tire is on, hold the wheel upright and look down into the beed area all the way around each side, to make sure the tube isn't pinched in the bead, BEFORE putting in air to seat the tire bead on the rim. Also, one other tip. To make it easier inserting the rim locks and valve stem, grab the bead on one side of the tire with the tire iron and clip it behind the disk or sprocket. Slip two small blocks of wood between the tire and rim on the other side, one on each side of the rim lock/valve stem location. This way your hands fit into the tire to insert the rim lock/valve. BOL

• MotoChris521

Posted July 09, 2003 - 04:26 PM

UUUGGGHHHH!!!!
MT21's . I put a set on my first "L".Never Again!.The tires work o.k. but what if you get a flat? I could'nt imagine trying to fix a flat on the trail with 10" tire irons with the "stoopid"(ha)Pirelli's.Good Luck Chuck. :)

• Baja Rudy

Posted July 11, 2003 - 09:00 AM

try coating the inner tire and inner tube with baby talcum powder. this helps the inner tube slide within the tire!!!

• tigerowner_ut

Posted July 11, 2003 - 09:11 AM

If it is any consolation the rear MT21 is not all that bad and wears forever and I haven't had a flat on one (they are pretty stiff and beffy in the carcas dept.). The front just plain sucks and pushes bad. Buy a Maxis IT front for $35 and a new tube before you break yourself or the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.