2010 yz 450 valve wear

38 replies to this topic
  • rmcr250r

Posted November 12, 2010 - 03:33 PM

No toil air filter oil and a petroleum oil in the motor makes me cringe. This is why I never buy a used dirtbike

I think the guys maintenance routine speaks for itself when he says he hasn't needed a valve adjustment in 100hrs.

• aedwards07

Posted November 12, 2010 - 08:04 PM

No toil air filter oil and a petroleum oil in the motor makes me cringe. This is why I never buy a used dirtbike

I agree its so terrible.I mean the motor has 100+ hours on it with no valve adjustment.The cam lobes and bearing surfaces look perfect along with just about everything else in the motor.Never saw any dirt in the airboot either.

I change the oil that much because of the clutch mainly.Riding in florida in deep sand you really abuse the clutch.Im running a full Hinson setup but I still feel the fresh oil makes the clutch work better and last longer.The extra money in oil is worth it in the long run I think.

I just love comments like this.haha

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 13, 2010 - 07:16 AM

I'm running a Rekluse for B class MX in Florida. I use synthetic Castrol R4 SuperBike oil, used it in my old 06 and didn't adjust the valves once in 120 hours. I also use No Toil. There's a secret to the NO Toil Oil, and the people who oil right don't have problems with it.

• Gunner354

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:22 AM

All I can say is that one of my 09 yz450 has 350 hrs on it with a true polyol ester group V oil and maxima air filter oil. Not one valve adjustment, original timing chain and tensioner. Rekluse pro and has original clutch plates. Ridden by a fast 20 yo kid that abuses the hell out of it.
I think I will stick with my high dollar oil.!!!

• aedwards07

Posted November 13, 2010 - 05:28 PM

All I can say is that one of my 09 yz450 has 350 hrs on it with a true polyol ester group V oil and maxima air filter oil. Not one valve adjustment, original timing chain and tensioner. Rekluse pro and has original clutch plates. Ridden by a fast 20 yo kid that abuses the hell out of it.

Guessing your running motul with how you described your oil...Id love to see the hourmeter that says 350hrs on a 09!

• rmcr250r

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Thats pretty smart with 350hrs.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:52 PM

350 hours in a year and some change? I call bull$h....

• dvn

Posted November 14, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Maybe, maybe not. He's in a warm climate with a young kid riding the bike. 175 hrs a year doesn't sound unreasonable. I put over 60 hrs on my 09 in 10 months and I'm no youngster! :p

• aedwards07

Posted November 14, 2010 - 06:31 AM

Well at least someone said it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I had around 400 hours on the '03 I owned when I sold it, and it had never needed anything at all done to the engine, including a valve adjustment. That was over 3 1/2 years, and the bike was a year old when I got it. It was ridden about 3 times a month on the average (some of that was 2-3 day trips), for from 1 to six hours a day. That was using Golden Spectro 4, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and Amsoil MCF (none of which are ester oils) and Maxima FFT.

People who race every week and/or practice a couple of times a week could run up a lot of time pretty quickly. 350 on an '09 sounds like a lot, but I don't know that it's impossible.

The main reason one would need to change out Rotella in two hours time is because it has very poor shear stability, and as such, the transmission beats it into water in very short order. Anyone who uses Rotella can verify this for themselves by sending out a used sample for analysis. When the results come back, look at the measured viscosity at 200 ℉. You'll find it well under what a 40 wt should be. It actually has nothing to do with the clutch, but if you use Rotella, any reason you want to use for changing it each ride is OK.

• motocat1

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:36 AM

@30 hours 1 exhaust tight, senior A racing. I'm getting a fault code of #22. has anybody had this and is there an easy remedie or is it a trip to the dealer. something to do with air temp. and check all harness connections?

• Gunner354

Posted November 14, 2010 - 10:39 AM

Well at least someone said it.

A couple of reasons I don't post much.

• brentn

Posted November 14, 2010 - 02:07 PM

@30 hours 1 exhaust tight, senior A racing. I'm getting a fault code of #22. has anybody had this and is there an easy remedie or is it a trip to the dealer. something to do with air temp. and check all harness connections?

Air temp, or air pressure?

Both sensors are on the throttle body, look the code up in the manual and make sure.
If you use too much oil on your filter, or you don't clean your filter the sensor may have oil all over it and/or dirt in which it will not be able to get an appropriate reading.
I would remove the air box and pull the throttle body, check all connections and then check out the sensor by removing it and cleaning it up with some throttle body cleaner. Don't use carb cleaner, it's not sensor safe.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:44 PM

Maybe, maybe not. He's in a warm climate with a young kid riding the bike. 175 hrs a year doesn't sound unreasonable. I put over 60 hrs on my 09 in 10 months and I'm no youngster! :p

There are 2 problems with Gunners statement...hes a young kid who abuses the hell out of bikes (he has stated that, and assuming he really abuses them, they will need valve adjustments) and 350 hours in a year and a few months really isnt possible unless he's trying to go pro (then why would you be on an 09) and rides every day of the week, or he's living at the track off his daddys dime.

Albeit, he might have 350 hours on his bike with no adjustments....but in my opinion, thats just crappy maintenance. These 4 strokes are time bombs just waiting to go off with those type hours and no cam chain or piston change (esp riding at gunners "abusive pace")

• Gunner354

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:03 AM

There are 2 problems with Gunners statement...hes a young kid who abuses the hell out of bikes (he has stated that, and assuming he really abuses them, they will need valve adjustments) and 350 hours in a year and a few months really isnt possible unless he's trying to go pro (then why would you be on an 09) and rides every day of the week, or he's living at the track off his daddys dime.

Albeit, he might have 350 hours on his bike with no adjustments....but in my opinion, thats just crappy maintenance. These 4 strokes are time bombs just waiting to go off with those type hours and no cam chain or piston change (esp riding at gunners "abusive pace")

I am a 49 year old with more years experience than you have been around.
My son in law does have that many hours on his bike in two years and all statements are correct.

• tech24

Posted November 15, 2010 - 12:33 PM

this is off topic but since you posted valve clearance info...lol............

I assume you have a tuner since you know what code is in it. If not use the one you aquired the code with and look at your sensor data. Post all readings here or in new thread. I don't have a manual in front of me so this is all I got.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 15, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Must be nice to have a father in law that lets his son in law just use his bike whenever and changes the fluids in it as well.

• BBrown626

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:19 PM

Most kids that ride that much spread the hours across two or three bikes. If you are racing hard, 150 hours a year is very tough. Two hours at the track will only rack up an hour of run time. If you are trail riding, pretty easy.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:43 AM

I race two classes in the series I run and counting practice session the morning of the race 4 motos + the practice that morning is just about an hour and a half.

when I go to the practice track here at home they open at 12 noon on sundays and practice til 5PM. In that time I usually go out about 3 to 4 times for 15 to 20 mins. They brake us up into 3 groups (kids+girls,C and D, then A and B riders) each get 15 to 20 mins riding sessions in.

I'm there from 12 to around 4 thirtyish which is around 4 and half hrs and only have about and hour and a half (maybe 45 mins) actually seat time in.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.