2010 yz 450 valve wear

38 replies to this topic
  • jonha

Posted November 09, 2010 - 09:25 AM

How have the valves been holding up in the 2010? Older five valves were never an issue.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 09, 2010 - 10:09 AM

30 hours. B rider. Fairly high revs. Still tight.

And even if they weren't, re-shimming these things are a breeze. Such easy access.

• brentn

Posted November 09, 2010 - 11:51 AM

24 hours, low-mid revs, no change at all.
To get to the valves was extremely easy, I was really really impressed with how easy it was to do any kind of cam work or valve adjusting.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 09, 2010 - 12:57 PM

24 hours, low-mid revs, no change at all.
To get to the valves was extremely easy, I was really really impressed with how easy it was to do any kind of cam work or valve adjusting.

Yamaha def thought it through. Kudos

• tech24

Posted November 09, 2010 - 02:23 PM

+1 no movement!!!!!!!!!

• brentn

Posted November 09, 2010 - 02:48 PM

^how many hours, what kind of riding?

• tech24

Posted November 10, 2010 - 05:00 AM

^how many hours, what kind of riding?

me? just about exactly what you got 23 hr mostly low revs woods but I also have ran several 18 mile loops with some high rpms and long steady revs.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 10, 2010 - 05:07 AM

30 hours. B rider. Fairly high revs. Still tight.

And even if they weren't, re-shimming these things are a breeze. Such easy access.

Is there anything you need to be careful about when taking the valve cover off? The reason I ask is cause mine hasnt ever leaked around the cover like most peoples have in the past and I'm worried that when I take the cover off to check the valves mine will start leaking.

• tech24

Posted November 10, 2010 - 05:11 AM

Is there anything you need to be careful about when taking the valve cover off? The reason I ask is cause mine hasnt ever leaked around the cover like most peoples have in the past and I'm worried that when I take the cover off to check the valves mine will start leaking.

Nope gasket just pulls right off with cover. It sticks a little where the sealer is in the cam cut out things. After looking at mine I really don't see how they could have problems leaking, sure is a heavy duty gasket. I think the ones that leaked had to have another issue and if yours doesn't leak I don't think it ever will.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 10, 2010 - 11:32 AM

Nope gasket just pulls right off with cover. It sticks a little where the sealer is in the cam cut out things. After looking at mine I really don't see how they could have problems leaking, sure is a heavy duty gasket. I think the ones that leaked had to have another issue and if yours doesn't leak I don't think it ever will.

Thanks!... I'll be checking it I guess tomorrow. Today I took the clutch cover off and miked the springs and plates. All was good at 31.3 hours,the limit on the springs free length is (49.0mm) and the lowest of mine was 49.19

The friction plate wear limit is (0.110 in). I checked the first on at the end and one in the middle and they were at 0.119 + or - a thousandth.

The clutch Basket looked good. They were no notching in the fingers (just black spots where the plates laid against). The clutch boss looked good as well and no notching in it either.

I raced 18 rounds of MX this year with my 2010 model and had several practices with it also. I rev'ed it pretty good at times and tried not to use the clutch around turns but some turns you just had to feather the clutch some to get around them.

I'm a B rider so I'm hopeing to get another season out of the clutch. I'll just have to see how it feels when next june rolls around.

I was wondering if I replaced the Friction plates and steel plates and the clutch springs if I would get longer wear out of the basket?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted November 10, 2010 - 01:04 PM

Went ahead and checked the valve clearence at 31.3 hours on it. I couldnt believe how easy it was to get to the valves. my 06 i had was way to much trouble cause you had to take the tank off,fuel line,four cover bolts,seat.

My 2010 I just took the seat off and that black plastic cover over the head.

I could slide the 0.10mm gauge under the intake rather easy but the 0.15 wouldnt even begin to go under and thats with a little force.

On th exhaust side the 0.20 went in with the right amount of drag the next size wouldnt go.

I just hope they keep holding up and not get out of adjustment. I put some hard riding in and thought they would be way out of adjustment.

I love yamaha's :p

• tech24

Posted November 10, 2010 - 01:43 PM

Looks like yammy did it again with this new head to no suprise. I'll keep posted with my 300 hr check...:p

• brentn

Posted November 10, 2010 - 02:53 PM

There was a guy on here with 100 hours and no movement.

300 hours would be pushing it, but with good oil, oil filter and air filter maint this could be achieved IMO.

• aedwards07

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:40 PM

There was a guy on here with 100 hours and no movement.

Guessing that your refering to me with that comment. And yep!

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 11, 2010 - 08:06 AM

What kind of riding and revs do you do aedwards?

• aedwards07

Posted November 11, 2010 - 03:41 PM

Ride B class MX.Usually ride 2 to 3 times a week and a day or 2 on the weekend.As for revs usually alot.haha

• brentn

Posted November 11, 2010 - 04:38 PM

What are your air filter and oil change intervals?

Do you use the stock filter, twin air, dt1??

• aedwards07

Posted November 11, 2010 - 07:01 PM

I have 2 Unis,a moose,stock,and a No toil.Moose and Uni are my favorites.Change the air filter every ride.I use No toil evo filter oil.I change the oil every 2 hours with rotella.

• Gunner354

Posted November 12, 2010 - 02:17 PM

I have 2 Unis,a moose,stock,and a No toil.Moose and Uni are my favorites.Change the air filter every ride.I use No toil evo filter oil.I change the oil every 2 hours with rotella.

No toil air filter oil and a petroleum oil in the motor makes me cringe. This is why I never buy a used dirtbike

• brentn

Posted November 12, 2010 - 02:35 PM

Lets not turn this into a synthetic versus dyno oil debate, and/or what oil to use for a filter debate either...

Obviously it's working for him, he's had zero adjustments in 100 hours.
I think he changes his oil too much, but maybe that's why his engine is perfect?? He may change it frequently because the high revs and temps call for it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.