The "secret" to changing oil filter using DRD full exhaust on 08 YZ450????

15 replies to this topic
  • AquaNut

Posted November 08, 2010 - 02:18 PM

Guys,

What is the secret to changing your oil filter after installing the DRD exhaust? Any replacement ideas for the top bolt? Loosening the exhaust every oil change is not going to work out......:p

thanks for any advice!

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 02:30 PM

I bought a long 6mm bolt, custom cut it into a stud, and fitted it with a nut. I also had to custom bend and grind a wrench to get more squarely onto the nut to tighten and loosen it behind the exhaust. Some days I think it's easier than loosening the exhaust, some days I wonder.

• AquaNut

Posted November 08, 2010 - 02:44 PM

I bought a long 6mm bolt, custom cut it into a stud, and fitted it with a nut. I also had to custom bend and grind a wrench to get more squarely onto the nut to tighten and loosen it behind the exhaust. Some days I think it's easier than loosening the exhaust, some days I wonder.

Well if you are having trouble Gray, I definitely will. Would you have the same issues with a Yosh exhaust?

thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 03:31 PM

No experience with the Yoshimura.

• mdkcrf250r

Posted November 08, 2010 - 05:14 PM

I must have my header cocked a little bit because I have no problems. It looks like its in the way of the top right oil filter bolt but its not.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 09, 2010 - 07:21 AM

I too get tired of removing the header every time to change the oil. Almost makes me wish I had stuck with the stock exhaust system... almost :p

• fishkiller

Posted November 09, 2010 - 08:49 AM

I use a ball end hex wrench. I realize that it is not quite as tight as it should be but have had no issue with it yet after 65 hours and a change every 3-5.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2010 - 10:27 AM

There is never a reason to remove it. All you need do is loosen it enough that you can pull it up a bit with a tire iron.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted November 09, 2010 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like a bummer. I dont have to loosen the exhaust with my WB alumpro 2. Check vance and Hines.

• myoung

Posted November 09, 2010 - 03:49 PM

I never had a problem with mine at first, but as time has gone by the pipe now sits a little lower, don't know what's changed. When I install the header, I pull up on the pipe while tightening the flange and the mid pipe bolts to 'set it' as high as possible so it closely clears the oil filter cover bolt. It used to just clear, but now I have to lift it just a touch with a tire iron like Gray mentioned. I still don't loosen anything though. There's just enough give for me to lift it the tiny amount I need.

There's obviously just enough variation in Dr.D's production for it to be in the way for some and not for others. The problem is from their header being designed to work with their radiator lowering kit. If you're not using their radiator lowering kit, then just use a different header if it bugs you that much. If you are using it, I've heard some can get the lowering kit to work with other headers anyway.

• AquaNut

Posted November 09, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Good Point! I have heard great things about the DRD setup but I wonder if the Yoshi exhaust would work with the radiator lowering kit as well as elliminate the oil filter cover bolt issue?

• mdkcrf250r

Posted November 10, 2010 - 12:49 AM

I have the DR.D full system and have had no problems with the oil filter bolt but I also have the radiator lowering kit and the bottom left corner of the radiator sits about 3-5mm from the header and if Im rough mounting the shroud it can cause the radiator to rub the header. I must have tweaked the radiator just enough to touch the header but not enough to see. Anyway no problems so far.

• myoung

Posted November 10, 2010 - 11:28 AM

I have the DR.D full system and have had no problems with the oil filter bolt but I also have the radiator lowering kit and the bottom left corner of the radiator sits about 3-5mm from the header and if Im rough mounting the shroud it can cause the radiator to rub the header. I must have tweaked the radiator just enough to touch the header but not enough to see. Anyway no problems so far.

That's pretty close!

Off topic: how has that lowering kit worked out for you? I have one sitting around I haven't tried yet. Some say it helps, others say they saw no difference. Still curious if it's worth the time installing it.

• mdkcrf250r

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:51 PM

well it literally takes 5 minutes to install. As far as feeling a difference, well I didnt ride the bike very hard before installing the lowering kit so I honestly feel no difference but I'm also not accustomed to noticing small changes anyways. I think its worth it...

• myoung

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:05 PM

well it literally takes 5 minutes to install. As far as feeling a difference, well I didnt ride the bike very hard before installing the lowering kit so I honestly feel no difference but I'm also not accustomed to noticing small changes anyways. I think its worth it...

I guess we'll see, I went ahead and put it on to try out. I was holding off mostly because I figured I'd sell it if it wasn't worth it. But then, how much can you really sell something like this for. I'm giving the old girl a face lift anyway, since I had every thing apart I might as well just use the damn thing. LOL!!

• ectm3

Posted December 13, 2010 - 02:15 PM

Ive tried the fmf mega bomb header with the the 4.1,and the yosh rs-2 full system on my yz450f 2009.Bolth systems allow for easy access to the oil filter,no tire iron required.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.