removal of coolant resevoir

11 replies to this topic
  • WR450MXMAN

Posted July 08, 2003 - 04:10 PM

I ride alot on a motocross track and I want to shed a couple of pounds. Has anyone removed the coolant resevoir or does anyone know if this is reasonable to do without causing overheating?

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2003 - 04:18 PM

It is OK for Motocross but it weighs very little if you just run it low or empty and you can leave it on and add to half full for woods riding. empty plastic bottle and hose weigh about 1 lb. :)

• BigDesto

Posted July 08, 2003 - 06:43 PM

I removed mine without any problems! :) :D

• BlueThunder

Posted July 08, 2003 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone removed it and replaced the stock radiator cap for a higher pressure cap off of a KX500 or something like that? Remember reading something like that a while back.

• BlueThunder

Posted July 10, 2003 - 08:42 PM

To the 'bout it folks? Higher pressure cap for resevoir removal safety? Know someone out there has the $$$$$$$ answer. :)

• freestyle111

Posted July 10, 2003 - 11:50 PM

just remove bottle,run overflow hose straight down frame and replace wr radiator cap with YZ radiator cap.if you want to sell your coolant resevoir bottle let me know my buddy is looking for one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueThunder

Posted July 11, 2003 - 07:09 PM

Didn't realize that a YZ's cap was different but I'll check into it. Gonna keep the bottle as I do everything stock, but thanks for the reply.

• Butta

Posted July 12, 2003 - 09:03 AM

I replaced my stock cap with a KX500 the hose and removed the reservoir. No problems. The only time I've lost coolant was when I went from San Diego to Colorado and rode up to 13,500 feet...could have guessed that I'd lose some, huh??

Get rid of it, that's what I say. :)

• freestyle111

Posted July 12, 2003 - 09:32 AM

the release pressure of kx500 radiator cap is 16psi.yz426 and wr426 radiator cap is your money 1\10psi difference wont make a difference.Back in the early to mid's 90's people used to swith to kx500 cap because most bikes[2-strokes] came with 12 or 14psi cap.almost all offroad 4 strokes come with 16psi radiator cap.

• ogrebelle

Posted July 15, 2003 - 06:46 AM

Just remove the bottle and ride it. You should be checking your level before every ride anyway. I removed my bottle last year and routed my overflow hose straight down. I am still using my stock WR cap with no problems. Went riding last weekend to 9,000 feet with the temp over 100 degrees at the excessive coolant loss and that was only while idling. This was on mostly tight single-track; relatively slow riding. Three words...don't idle excessively. Just monitor your level and ride.

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2003 - 01:00 PM

the release pressure of kx500 radiator cap is 16psi.yz426 and wr426 radiator cap is 15.9psi.

426 cap is 1.1 atmospheres.

Most KX caps, including the one on my KX5, are 1.4, I think a KX 65 is actually 1.6...

1.1 is 16 psi
1.4 is 21 psi

• aki

Posted July 15, 2003 - 11:17 PM

Why not use the bottle as a emergency fuel tank ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.