New to dirt bikes and just bought a 2006 kx450f

14 replies to this topic
  • rrich49132

Posted November 07, 2010 - 12:00 PM

I am new to dirt bike riding and just bought a used 2006 kx450f and the only riding I have done so far is around the block and when I bought it. I have been riding sport bikes for about 10 years and have been doing track days for the last two years. Have had 600,750, and 1000cc bikes and currently have a 2009 zx6r by the way.

I love the power of this kx it reminds me of my 2003 r1 liter bike as it really pulls that hard from idle. Can't wait to get it out off road. My original plan was to wait till spring but don't think I can wait that long. I live in the Northern, VA area so not too many places close by to ride as I will have to trailer the bike about 1.5 hours away to get it out.

Anyways just came across this forum and will be in here from time-to-time looking for advice and such.

• numroe

Posted November 07, 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi and welcome. I've got the same bike, and all my riding places are 1+ hrs drive. But it's worth it! Yeah the engine has a beautiful spread of responsive power. Ample for on the dirt.

What's your bike's condition like, and prior history?

Post some bike pics here if you can. In case it's not obvious, you upload your pic somewhere else like photobucket or Picasaweb, then put links here.

There are a few very significant mods to improve the 06 bike. 1 = suspension. 1 = 22mm triples. 3 = fix the rear linkage ratio. Those three things make it a totally different bike. Night vs day difference. Goes without saying you need the right tires for your dirt, and lots of ride time to dial in the settings. The 08 engine mount mod helps cornering/steering too.

• rrich49132

Posted November 07, 2010 - 04:44 PM

Great condition hardly used at all:

ftp://ftp.americanstaffing.net/ray/kawi/kawi.JPG
ftp://ftp.americanstaffing.net/ray/kawi/kawi2.JPG
ftp://ftp.americanstaffing.net/ray/kawi/kawi3.JPG

• numroe

Posted November 08, 2010 - 04:29 AM

Hard to see your bike's condition in that lighting. Looks like an original front tire. That's a great sign if the case. As is the original looking clutch cover.

Your bike is an 07 I think. Which means your linkage is better, as is the stock suspension.

The 06 looks like this:

Posted Image

And here is a new 07:

Posted Image

• rrich49132

Posted November 08, 2010 - 05:47 AM

I think you are right as it is an 07.

It really was a great deal I paid just $2500 and it was hardly ridden at all.

• VETMX808

Posted November 08, 2010 - 11:32 AM

Numroe...

I don't think the 2nd pic is a 2007. It doesn't have the anodized forks...

This is a 2007 I believe...

http://www.topspeed....ture109712.html

• numroe

Posted November 08, 2010 - 03:15 PM

I got my 2nd pic off Kawi's web site, in 2007. Interesting, his bike has the 07 plastics and dark hubs, but not the DLC on the lower fork tubes.

rrich, all you need to go is count your gears. The 06 only has 4. The 06 also has Ti footpegs, and plastic 'Y' joins on the coolant hoses.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VETMX808

Posted November 08, 2010 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, that would be the best way to check. How many gears does she have!

His bike also has 2 lines on the wishbone portion of the frame I think (hard to see). This would mean 2006 as well...

• KXFourFiddy

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:05 PM

It looks like an '06 to me...the lines on the frame = '06

• gonzokx

Posted November 11, 2010 - 03:49 AM

Hey Rrich
Enjoy your new bike. Keep up on oil changes and keep your air filter clean and that bike will give years of fun.I have an 06 with 180 hrs on it. No major problems. Agian enjoy and wecome to the site :p
Ernie

• ZOPPAWHEELIE

Posted December 21, 2010 - 11:06 AM

I had an 06 and loved it, untill the crank shaft snapped just below the piston. This in turn took out pretty much everything in my motor including transmission gears, cases, piston, & cylinder! I did some research and found out that the crank shafts were not built strong enough in 06, and was strengthened in 07. My bike probably had 300 hrs on it when it blew. On the bright side, i didn't have to adjust the valves one during the time I owned it. It always started and ran perfectly!

• gonzokx

Posted December 21, 2010 - 12:09 PM

Zoppa
Just wondering if you still had the stock piston or what you had in there on your 06?
thanx in advance
Ernie

• ZOPPAWHEELIE

Posted December 30, 2010 - 06:38 AM

@Gonzokx. Yes I had a stock piston. I never did anything to the engine b/c the valves were always within spec, and it always ran really well. I should have been more specific, the connecting rod, rather than the actual crankshaft, snapped at the very top just below the piston.

• Johnny T

Posted December 30, 2010 - 06:48 AM

Welcome to the forum!

• kiwiintexas

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:55 AM

If it is an 06
Check the scavenger screen
Change the radiator Y that is plastic out for the 07 metal one (the plastic one melts and splits)
I run a 1.8 radiator cap and catch tank but my bike is used mostly for HS and enduros

Kiwi

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Showa TAC 2015 KX450f by Kawirider37

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KX450F 2011 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KX450F 2011
  • * * * * -
  • 8 reviews
  • Last review by AST
  • On July 08, 2014
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KX450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KX450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 8 reviews
  • Last review by anoolite76
  • On October 01, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.