Yosh Re-packing Intervals

9 replies to this topic
  • dynamike

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:34 AM

Yoshimura recommends 6-8 hour intervals for muffler re-packing. They say they recommend this for warranty liability reasons. FMF on the other hand has no problem recommending 25-30 hour intervals, even with their Ti cannister. Can anyone that has owned Yosh products tell me if they really require such frequent re-packing to avoid muffler damage.

• andy250

Posted November 07, 2010 - 06:00 PM

It really depends on how hard you ride... If you're wide open on a sand track it's going to require re-packing more frequently than a trail rider putting around in 1st gear.

With that said, FMF's recommendation of every 25-30hrs sounds a bit more realistic than Yoshimura's at 6-8 hrs.

• brentn

Posted November 07, 2010 - 06:06 PM

I think 6-8 hours is if you have the carbon fiber silencer.

Anything aluminum or titanium I believe is 20-25 hours.

I just put 23 hours on my 450 silencer, going to pull it apart tomorrow and see if it could have held out longer or should be serviced earlier.

• dynamike

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the replies, but Yosh states 6-8 hour intervals in general on their website. I talked to them and was told this recommendation is even with the aluminum can and was mostly due to liability for product damage. All of my riding is either practicing for or racing motocross. My question is, has anyone with a Yosh muffler experienced a need for these abnormally frequent maintenance intervals to avoid muffler damage?

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 09:35 AM

DRD recommends the same sort of thing:

http://dubachracing.com/repacking.html

Actually, they've backed of a little, too. I run a DRD on both bikes, and I pack them once or twice a year without a problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Swapper265

Posted November 08, 2010 - 11:33 PM

I have seen plenty of DRD pipes with broken cores if not repacked often enough, with most guys repacking after 10-15 hours at the most.

Yoshi are probably looking to prevent something similar.

• brentn

Posted November 09, 2010 - 12:22 AM

Here's my packing after 24 hours of running time;
Posted Image
Posted Image
Low to mid RPM usage on the bike, don't ride it as hard as someone doing SX/MX.. I suppose if you race your probably going to see double the burnout.

Either way the core is toast and can cause a bit of turbulance in the exhaust. 20 hours seems like a good amount of time to replace it for me.

• tech24

Posted November 11, 2010 - 02:16 PM

Just curious what packing are you gonna use, gotta do mine soon? Did you drill out the rivets or can you pull it apart from the bolted end?

• brentn

Posted November 11, 2010 - 02:30 PM

If your referring to stock and the packing is not that bad it will slide right out. You do not have to remove the end cap to re-pack if the packing is not stuck to the walls etc.
There is a tiny bit of packing in the end cap you can fish out or just leave it.

• tech24

Posted November 12, 2010 - 05:40 AM

If your referring to stock and the packing is not that bad it will slide right out. You do not have to remove the end cap to re-pack if the packing is not stuck to the walls etc.
There is a tiny bit of packing in the end cap you can fish out or just leave it.

Right on I gotta do mine was planning on having an MRD slip-on by now but just cant afford it. I think Im gonna try the MSR string type packing and see how it does.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.