Carb swap help **fcr carbs**

5 replies to this topic
  • ScottYZ

Posted November 06, 2010 - 06:17 PM

i have a 98 yz 400 and i need a new carb i was wondering can i put a carb from a 03 wr 450 that my buddy has?? i need to know asap!!! thanks in advance... i just bought the yz 400 and cant wait to get it goin. let me know if its possible and if i need to modify anything or if all or any fcr carbs will work

thanks
scott

• ScottYZ

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:11 AM

anyone know if i can use any fcr carb

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:39 AM

The '03 carb is not an FCR, it's an FCR-MX, as are are all the '01 and later models. They will all fit the 400, but you'll find you need to stretch the air boot a bit because the overall length is shorter. The carb also has a cable operated internal hot start, so you'll need that whole set up, along with blocking off the original 400 hot start port at the head.

The YZF carbs work best, and the the '05 and later ones are the best of those. A WR carb will work, but they can be more difficult to tune.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ScottYZ

Posted November 07, 2010 - 09:55 AM

so am i better off not buying this 03 wr450 card off my friend? is it not worth the time and money? and and what do i need to do to block off this port at the head? has any one done this? and any pic would be great so i get an idea on what i need to do i just want this thing to run thats all thanks for the help so far

scott

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2010 - 02:19 PM

The WR carb could go on and work perfectly, but (not sure on the '03) most of them have a cap pressed in the float bowl over the pilot screw, and a needle with a single groove in it. Even so, it will almost certainly work better than what you have with a little fiddling.

The hot start on your bike is connected to a tap on the head below the intake port. Get a vacuum cap at an auto parts store for the head, and plug the fitting going to the air boot.

• ScottYZ

Posted November 07, 2010 - 05:21 PM

ok thanks guys im gonna get the carb andpretty sure that this thread isnt dead cause im sure ill be back with more questions

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.