WR 450 vs. EXC 450?

43 replies to this topic
  • sgilbert

Posted November 25, 2010 - 03:17 PM

I have on '04 WR 450 and '05 450 EXC. Between my 2 bikes, the WR has a harder hit on bottom end and better brakes, but that's were the WR's advantages end. Actually I think the harder hit on bottom end is a disadvantage in most cases (for me) as it makes it a bit harder to handle in situations were traction is scarce. The EXC produces as much power, but much more smoothly. When riding, the EXC feels much lighter (not when lifting or pushing the bikes though). I think this is due to a lower center of gravity. In any situation, I am faster on the EXC, and it is less tiring to ride. Suspension on the EXC is awesome. The EXC seems to have better components for the most part (hydralic clutch, bolts made from better steel, etc.). I suppose if you were just going to cruise around on fire roads the bikes might seem close to equal.

• sgilbert

Posted November 25, 2010 - 03:20 PM

Dirt Rider did an off road 450 shootout about 1 year ago. Mods. were made to the WR to equal the price difference between it and the virtually bone stock KTM (including suspension re-valve). The KTM still came out on top.

• projected

Posted November 25, 2010 - 05:42 PM

I have on '04 WR 450 and '05 450 EXC. Between my 2 bikes, the WR has a harder hit on bottom end and better brakes, but that's were the WR's advantages end. Actually I think the harder hit on bottom end is a disadvantage in most cases (for me) as it makes it a bit harder to handle in situations were traction is scarce. The EXC produces as much power, but much more smoothly. When riding, the EXC feels much lighter (not when lifting or pushing the bikes though). I think this is due to a lower center of gravity. In any situation, I am faster on the EXC, and it is less tiring to ride. Suspension on the EXC is awesome. The EXC seems to have better components for the most part (hydralic clutch, bolts made from better steel, etc.). I suppose if you were just going to cruise around on fire roads the bikes might seem close to equal.

And if you think that 05 EXC suspension is awesome maybe you're the one riding fire roads :thumbsup: I guess your last comment is to show us what an amazing rider you are, and if we don't like KTM suspension and handling we must not be your caliber rider? Go take a look at KTMtalk and see how many people you find complaining about the poor suspension and handling issues they are experiencing.

My comparison is based on the aluminum frame 07 and IMO the way I have set it up this bike is vastly better than any KTM I've ever ridden including the 2008-2010 geometry.

My suspension guy told me that he feels WP suspension is about 10 years behind KYB suspension, he has no affiliations with any company so I trust his opinion.

Go read the RacerX 2011 450 mx shootout with David Pingree, Jeff Ward, Micky Dymond, Carey Hart, Phil Lawrence, and Chad Pederson. Sounds like KTM still can't get their handling right in 2011, even with a linkage "There is a noticeable disconnect between the front and rear portions of this bike” sounds awesome...
:p

http://www.racerxonl...0-shootout.aspx

• projected

Posted November 25, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Dirt Rider did an off road 450 shootout about 1 year ago. Mods. were made to the WR to equal the price difference between it and the virtually bone stock KTM (including suspension re-valve). The KTM still came out on top.

Great point, Dirt Rider is never biased toward KTM. In 2002 I bought a brand new 2002 400EXC based on a DR review and everything but the motor was a pile. I sold it after 1 month.

I seem to remember the DR testers raving about how great the WR with suspension mods performed, including Cole Kirkpatrick who was racing AA in the national enduro series on a KTM at the time.

I'm sure Cole only enjoys cruising around on fire roads too so what could he know...

• sgilbert

Posted November 25, 2010 - 06:22 PM

And if you think that 05 EXC suspension is awesome maybe you're the one riding fire roads :thumbsup: I guess your last comment is to show us what an amazing rider you are, and if we don't like KTM suspension and handling we must not be your caliber rider? Go take a look at KTMtalk and see how many people you find complaining about the poor suspension and handling issues they are experiencing.

My comparison is based on the aluminum frame 07 and IMO the way I have set it up this bike is vastly better than any KTM I've ever ridden including the 2008-2010 geometry.

My suspension guy told me that he feels WP suspension is about 10 years behind KYB suspension, he has no affiliations with any company so I trust his opinion.

Go read the RacerX 2011 450 mx shootout with David Pingree, Jeff Ward, Micky Dymond, Carey Hart, Phil Lawrence, and Chad Pederson. Sounds like KTM still can't get their handling right in 2011, even with a linkage "There is a noticeable disconnect between the front and rear portions of this bike” sounds awesome...
:p

http://www.racerxonl...0-shootout.aspx

Did I mention that I own both bikes? Admittedly, I haven't ridden a KTM newer than an '05 or a WR newer than an '04. And, no, I'm not a great rider. I'm not trying to offend any WR owners (again, I am one). I'm just attempting to give "my" answer for the question in the initial post.

However, if you every attend a GNCC race and watch the classes were everybody rides what they want to ride (eg. they're not getting paid to ride a certain color), you will see mostly orange on the starting line.

These are just my opinions........oh, and did I mention that I own both bikes?

• projected

Posted November 25, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Did I mention that I own both bikes? Admittedly, I haven't ridden a KTM newer than an '05 or a WR newer than an '04. And, no, I'm not a great rider. I'm not trying to offend any WR owners (again, I am one). I'm just attempting to give "my" answer for the question in the initial post.

However, if you every attend a GNCC race and watch the classes were everybody rides what they want to ride (eg. they're not getting paid to ride a certain color), you will see mostly orange on the starting line.

These are just my opinions........oh, and did I mention that I own both bikes?

Oh, and did I mention I HAVE owned both bikes? Oh right I did mention that above. Good talk :p

• sgilbert

Posted November 25, 2010 - 07:54 PM

Sarek,
The obvious advice would be to ride both bikes back to back, if possible. If that's not possible, ask the opinion of someone (like myself) who has ridden the bikes in question (450 EXC and WR 450) back to back on several occasions, in many conditions. If you haven't already, to be fair I would pose the same question to the orange guys. However, be aware that if the people answering the post haven't actually given both bikes a thorough and fair try, all you're getting is a bunch of brand-loyal propaganda.

Both are great bikes. In fact, if you decide to go with the WR, mine is for sale.

• projected

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:40 PM

Sarek,
The obvious advice would be to ride both bikes back to back, if possible. If that's not possible, ask the opinion of someone (like myself) who has ridden the bikes in question (450 EXC and WR 450) back to back on several occasions, in many conditions. If you haven't already, to be fair I would pose the same question to the orange guys. However, be aware that if the people answering the post haven't actually given both bikes a thorough and fair try, all you're getting is a bunch of brand-loyal propaganda.

Both are great bikes. In fact, if you decide to go with the WR, mine is for sale.

Yeah obviously don't consider the opinion of someone like myself who owned a 2007 450EXC for the entire summer before purchasing my current 07 WR450. My opinions and experiences with both bikes and my unbiased post above are clearly not on par with gilbert’s esteemed opinion. Now I can’t help but feel that my post above is nothing more than brand loyal propaganda, thanks for opening my eyes gil :p

Did you ever figure out how to work those compression and damper adjuster thingies?? I guess you must have since you are now proclaiming 05 EXC suspension to be “awesome”. Obvious inherent problem with all the internet experts out there.

• WideRatio

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Did I mention that I own both bikes? Admittedly, I haven't ridden a KTM newer than an '05 or a WR newer than an '04.

ht

Gotta try out an 07+ WR450 dude. Sweet machine! Light years ahead of the steel framers.

• sgilbert

Posted November 26, 2010 - 06:45 AM

WideRatio, I would love to try the '07 and newer WR's. I've heard great things about them.

My EXC is 2 clicks off stock in fork compression. I've never had to mess with it that much. Initially I experimented with several different settings on the WR in attempt to make it perform on par with my EXC in terms of traction on uphills with roots and square-edged rocks. I eventually gave up, and it is now back to stock settings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted November 26, 2010 - 12:05 PM

Yeah obviously don't consider the opinion of someone like myself who owned a 2007 450EXC for the entire summer before purchasing my current 07 WR450. My opinions and experiences with both bikes and my unbiased post above are clearly not on par with gilbert’s esteemed opinion. Now I can’t help but feel that my post above is nothing more than brand loyal propaganda, thanks for opening my eyes gil :thumbsup:

Did you ever figure out how to work those compression and damper adjuster thingies?? I guess you must have since you are now proclaiming 05 EXC suspension to be “awesome”. Obvious inherent problem with all the internet experts out there.

Wow!!! Let's all calm down a bit and take a deep breath. These are ALL opinions, and everyone has their own and are entitled to disagree with someone else.

Someone must like the KTM 450 or they wouldn't be making em. Whether it not your cup of tea or not is fine, but don't bash anyone else because it's theirs. You gave a well thought out and informative review, now take a deep breath and let everyone make their own decision based on your facts.

The WR450 is far from perfect, and so is the KTM. And so is a CRFX.

Now find out what YOU need to do to make YOURS fit you and enjoy!!

• 1talbotj

Posted December 04, 2010 - 06:42 PM

hey wide ratio, aluminum frames are great and look really pretty...but try to drain the carburator really quick...look at the weights of the 2005 and any WR newer...you dont gain that much in weight loss...i like to easily modify the jets and work on my motor...the key word is easily...aluminum is nice but i'm riding while my friends are still putting their frames together.

• projected

Posted December 04, 2010 - 08:27 PM

hey wide ratio, aluminum frames are great and look really pretty...but try to drain the carburator really quick...look at the weights of the 2005 and any WR newer...you dont gain that much in weight loss...i like to easily modify the jets and work on my motor...the key word is easily...aluminum is nice but i'm riding while my friends are still putting their frames together.

I can change out the pilot, main, and needle on my aluminum WR450 without removing the subframe. It takes me 10 minutes longer than it did to change the needle on my 07 YZ450, 07 450EXC, or steel framed 06 WR250.

• WideRatio

Posted December 04, 2010 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. Ive had both. The carb is tougher to access, but who cares. I can change Main and Pilot jet in 10 to 15 minutes. No biggy. Access to the bottom of the carb on the left side is fine without removing anything. Tell your friends.

Weight is the same, but the CG is lower. Huge difference that you can feel. Plus, aluminum has better damping than steel. The best word to describe the 07 and newer is SWEEEET! Sweet machine.

• byggd

Posted December 05, 2010 - 06:30 AM

Really? .... a 5 year old thread debate?

• WideRatio

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:40 PM

5 YEARS? Its like two days, goofball. Started only a couple posts up. Your sense of time is off just a hair. LOL You're so funny.

• byggd

Posted December 06, 2010 - 05:16 AM

5 YEARS? Its like two days, goofball. Started only a couple posts up. Your sense of time is off just a hair. LOL You're so funny.

Ooooops! I half time while watching the raiders kick the crap out of san diego :blah: and I must have glanced up and saw projected's join date. May bad! :thumbsup:

• 1talbotj

Posted December 06, 2010 - 05:39 AM

hey, i'm just glad to be here...:thumbsup:

• WideRatio

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:12 AM

LOL! You guys are funny. Chargers loose to the Raiders? Maybe it has been 5 years and there was a space time continuom disruption with a worm hole involved. That would be the only explaination.

• byggd

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:47 AM

Not only beat them once but TWICE this year! This is for you San Diego! :ride: I think 02 was the last time that happened! :blah: Anyway :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.