Broken Tib/fib Xray

11 replies to this topic
  • snoboarder11592

Posted November 06, 2010 - 06:58 AM

On Sept. 11 i broke my Tib/fib after literally losing the bike off a jump. Rookie mistake for a new rider i guess. Landed me 2 weeks in the hospital due to compartment syndrome. heres a picture of the xray after the rod surgery
Posted Image
Im still cant put any weight on it at all but i get it x-rayed on the 9th. Im trying sell my 91 rm250 and buy a little more mild 4 stroke, something a little more gentle. A little curious though about what happens if i break this leg again. This is my first motocross break but my 3rd broken bone. I mean is this rod just gonna bend next time and destroy my leg? Also anybody ever had compartment syndrome? I think that was worse than actually breaking my leg. They put this machine called a wound VAC and this huge opening in my leg with a sponge in it. Most painful experience of my life changing that bandage every 2 days.

• baby arm holding apple

Posted November 06, 2010 - 07:42 AM

As an RN and whom has seen many of these I wonder why you would even
consider going back to Motocross. The cost response still is not clear at
this time. Heal up and listen to you MD and then try some single track with
a lot less air time.

Wound Vacs really speed things up but the use of it in it self
means you have/had serious issues with soft tissue. Eat right
and take care.

• davbrucas

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:46 AM

Yup...fasciotomies are limb-saving. I have done a few emergent ones, but mostly on burn patients. I would just heal up for 6mos or so and re-evaluate what you want to do. If you crash again and impart enough energy on this leg, you may be looking at a below the knee amputation.

• snoboarder11592

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:59 AM

I was afraid of that. Im only 18 i feel like this rod is always gonna pop into my mind when i try anything for the rest of my life. I read you can get them out. Is there any break to severe that the rod must stay in forever?

• fmv60691

Posted November 08, 2010 - 12:56 PM

I broke my Tib/Fib and was carefully racing MX 4 months later. It went fast for a 33 year old. I am not removing my rod although my doc recommended it, especially if I do MX. I take the risk because I dont want to go through surgery again. Lots of people get them out but some leave them in. Its your choice. Good luck!!

• snoboarder11592

Posted November 08, 2010 - 03:06 PM

I broke my Tib/Fib and was carefully racing MX 4 months later. It went fast for a 33 year old. I am not removing my rod although my doc recommended it, especially if I do MX. I take the risk because I dont want to go through surgery again. Lots of people get them out but some leave them in. Its your choice. Good luck!!

Wow only 4 months. Thats promising. Yea I dont really think MX is for me after this wreck, but i will see once i heal. It sucks being laid up. Really Puts my life on hold

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fmv60691

Posted November 10, 2010 - 12:16 AM

Wow only 4 months. Thats promising. Yea I dont really think MX is for me after this wreck, but i will see once i heal. It sucks being laid up. Really Puts my life on hold

Just listen to your doctor. But if there's no infection, bones should heal way faster than soft tissues. I still have a bit of pain at the patellar tendon and sometimes at the back of the fracture, but my bone was fully healed after 4 months. Anyway, time depends on multiple factors. My doc sais my tib/fib will never break again in the same spot, there is a significant amount of bone callus. It feels like a ball in my tibia.

Just be patient, your injury can take longer, and for now, forget about MX, just think about it once you are fine to run and ride a bycicle at least. Eat well (ask your doc about taking calcium suplements), sleep as much as you can and avoid smoking.

• snoboarder11592

Posted November 10, 2010 - 10:09 AM

Had a doctors appointment yesterday and he said 4 weeks and i should be walking unassisted. Adding 25% weight each week till im 100%. He was very surprised with how fast I was healing. Thanks for the advice

• snoboarder11592

Posted April 05, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hey just wanted to update for anybody else who has a similar break.

On april 11th it will be 7 months since the wreck. Im attending UMBC college full time and working 20-30 hours a week. Im walking but not running. I can jog short distances but the doc said that its probably not best and i should just stick with low impact cardio. I lift weights and can already squat well over 225lbs. My lower leg is still weak and balancing and jumping off just that leg is near impossible becuase of high impact and lack of strength. My leg always hurts but its not unbearable, just sore. It hurts under my knee cap during extensions and often in the back of my knee. My ankle movement still feels stiff and weak but has the same range of motion as my good foot. I have been riding my pedal bike a lot and feels good to be moving on two wheels again. I dont have a motorbike because i had to sell it to pay bills while i could not work. I've been rippin it up on my friends drz110 which is the closest to riding i have gotten.

As far as riding mx goes i think someone who was very dedicated and had some balls could be riding right now with my injuries but with great risk of re injury and pain. I think they would be strong enough to ride but the smallest impact anywhere on that leg would kill. Just my opinion, not a doctor so...

I know this break is common and just wanted to help anyone out who is stuck in bed looking forward to getting back to it.

Edited by snoboarder11592, April 05, 2011 - 10:41 AM.

• fmv60691

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:48 AM

the pain under your knee cap is going to take longer. Its been 1 year + 3 months since I got my rod inserted and still feel a little pain once in a while. I still have the nail in and I am leaving it there. BTW I ride and race like nothing happened, just try to take it easier at dificult jumps and avoid doing "stupid" things

• snoboarder11592

Posted April 22, 2011 - 12:53 PM

Yea I stopped censoring my life because of it. I have been skateboarding and mountain biking a lot like I used too, but unfortunately my father said as long as I live in his house I cant buy a dirt bike. I do wish I could ride again though. I snowboarded in the winter and rode in the summer for 2 years. It was a blast and kept me in shape and help me decide on my school major. I have gained about 45 lbs since the accident and am a little pudgy to say the least.

I never raced. Im a total beginner. Rode sparingly for about 2 years then this happened. I have always been obsessed with motorbikes since I was a child and am pretty inclined to sports so I got pretty fast, pretty quick. I think falling is a learned skill that I did not have.

Im going to update with a few more pics of the external healing and will post one year x rays in september. I hope to make this thread a journal of sorts

• snoboarder11592

Posted April 22, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
considering what it used to look like i think it healed up good

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.