oil filter

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 03, 2001 - 10:15 PM

How often do you need to change it? Where cna i buy some extras???

• riponfire

Posted March 04, 2001 - 10:40 PM

You can reuse your stock filter about five times or so. Just flush it out with gas after each use. Be careful to only hold it by the ends though, the mesh screen is fragile and easily tears. Replacements cost is about $10-$15 from the dealer. Scotts Racing sells stainless steel filters for about $70 (www.scottsonline.com/indexmain.html) These filters are supposed to last forever.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 04, 2001 - 11:17 AM

How do i flush it out with gas?? just take it out without even draining the oil?? As you can see i know nothing about this thing. tahnks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted March 04, 2001 - 07:45 PM

Did you get a manual with your bike?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 04, 2001 - 08:18 PM

Ya i did. Don't tell me it says how to do it. IT does well that shows you how lazy i am. thanks

• riponfire

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:31 AM

I use a small jar that I fill with gas then I just drop my filter into it, put the lid on and shake it up! Before I take it out, I make sure that it is turned upside down (inlet hole facing down) and I swirl it around in the jar to make sure all the tiny metal shavings come out of it. Then I use an air hose to blow it out. Be careful with the air pressure so as not to damage the filter! Some guys on this board have said that they take the rubber pieces off the filter before flushing so you don't damage the rubber. I have always left them on and have never experienced any problems. Also, I run Mobil 1 15-50w synthetic oil in my 99 YZ 400 it works great! Many use it with good results.

• SNF

Posted March 06, 2001 - 09:23 AM

I also put some gas in a jar, Skippy Peanut butter, put my finger in the filter opening and swissh it around. I make every effort not to allow the junk particles to get inside the filter. I then spray some Fantastic on it and rinse with water from the inside out. Finally I displace the water with WD-40 (some say this is a product developed by the military and stands for water displacement 40)and blot it dry ready for use again.

[This message has been edited by SNF (edited 03-06-2001).]

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.