Vortex cdi

35 replies to this topic
  • roofer dude

Posted November 05, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Could someone explain the benefits of the Vortex Cdi? It,s for a 03 yz450f.

• Swapper265

Posted November 06, 2010 - 04:29 AM

Completely tunable, 10 pre-set maps, on the fly switch to change between two chosen maps, a great, value for money mod. Well worth it !!!

:excuseme:

• roofer dude

Posted November 06, 2010 - 06:31 AM

With the preset maps, does this raise the timing,raise the rev limiter,change the timing curve?? How is this going to help me on the track? More power up high,or low verses stock? Just need to know what all it does before I spend the money and find out it didn't help at all, or why I didn't get it sooner.

• KJ790

Posted November 06, 2010 - 06:43 AM

With the preset maps, does this raise the timing,raise the rev limiter,change the timing curve?? How is this going to help me on the track? More power up high,or low verses stock? Just need to know what all it does before I spend the money and find out it didn't help at all, or why I didn't get it sooner.

It comes with 10 different timing curves. For some bikes they raise the rev limit a few hundred RPM, some they don't. If it raises the rev limit, it isn't by a whole lot typically. Some of the curves give you more low end, some give you more top end, and the rest are a mix of the two. You can switch between two different curves on the fly, so you can have one curve for starts, then switch to another after the first turn for the rest of the race. Or you could have one you like for muddy days, and one for dry days and just flip the switch for which one you want.

• roofer dude

Posted November 07, 2010 - 06:45 AM

Thanks KJ790, Do you think it's worth the $500 bucks?? Are you buying power gains or the ability to tune or both?

• Geoffit

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:39 AM

With the vortex you end up with one good map and nine slower ones you could spend way less pick up some oem boxes off of the 05-09 years (they all work) and pick the one you like! Unless you need the 300 extra rpms on the top and /or the on the fly switch to a slower setting it might not be worth the cost

• KJ790

Posted November 07, 2010 - 10:48 AM

The vortex ignitions work well at getting more power, especially on heavily modified engines. I had always heard people say that they didn't offer much gains over the stock ignition. I believed this until I tried a vortex ignition for myself. I haven't tried one on a YZ450, so I can't comment on that. I will say that on my YZ250F, the vortex ignition offered more gains than any other modification I have ever done (this bike has an MDK head off of a wonder wart hog national bike, high compression piston, Web 192/192+2.5 cams, FMF megabomb with factory 4.1 exhaust). I got mine used so I only paid $140 for it, which was definitely worth it. Personally, I don't think $500 is that bad for what you get, the gains are more than a $900 exhaust will give you, and it is much less likely to be damaged in a crash like an exhaust.

• Swapper265

Posted November 08, 2010 - 12:39 AM

The vortex ignitions work well at getting more power, especially on heavily modified engines. I had always heard people say that they didn't offer much gains over the stock ignition. I believed this until I tried a vortex ignition for myself. I haven't tried one on a YZ450, so I can't comment on that. I will say that on my YZ250F, the vortex ignition offered more gains than any other modification I have ever done (this bike has an MDK head off of a wonder wart hog national bike, high compression piston, Web 192/192+2.5 cams, FMF megabomb with factory 4.1 exhaust). I got mine used so I only paid $140 for it, which was definitely worth it. Personally, I don't think $500 is that bad for what you get, the gains are more than a $900 exhaust will give you, and it is much less likely to be damaged in a crash like an exhaust.

+ 1 on that. The Vortex is a great value for money mod. Anyone that says that the vortex doesn't do anything cant ride !!

• roofer dude

Posted November 08, 2010 - 05:54 AM

If it helps , motor has +2mm big bore with Webb flat track cams, high comp. piston running 110 gas. Thanks for any response you may have, good or bad. $$$$'s are hard to come by these days, don't want to waste any! By the way this motor is on a kart. Yellow # 7 . This is one of the bigger tracks we run. 16 tooth on front and 22 on rear and still touch the rev limiter!

• kdub442

Posted November 08, 2010 - 06:43 AM

I can't comment on the ignition, but that video is cool!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:44 AM

... we run. 16 tooth on front and 22 on rear and still touch the rev limiter!

...and your tires are what? 10" tall? That's about the same as stock gearing overall.

Looks like fun, though. The kart's fast.

• roofer dude

Posted November 08, 2010 - 08:02 AM

You are correct on the gearing, and it is fast but as you can see it needs to be alittle faster. What's your thoughts on the vortex for this kind of racing ? Also what about a 5th gear or a smaller 4th gear for this motor?

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 09:50 AM

You can use the 5 speed from an '03-'06 WR450, but it's a wider ratio box, and you need the whole, complete trans to make the swap. I think for your purposes, you're better off using taller tires (an inch would make a pretty good difference) or go to a 20 tooth rear

• tech24

Posted November 08, 2010 - 02:30 PM

Just curious but what engines are in the other karts? Or are they all the same?

btw looks like a blast!

• roofer dude

Posted November 08, 2010 - 03:46 PM

This race there were 3 wankles (rotary) like the old RX7 engines just a little smaller, my 450, and 2 2strokes not sure what they were. The rotary engines are bad, they just keep pulling and smooooth. They are about a 1/3 of the weight of a 450. The 450 has and will again beat the rotary. The guy that won is a 3 time national winner and the guy in 3rd is a 2 time runner up, the 2010 national champ had problems and pulled off. All 3 of those karts are powered by the wankle rotary motor.
That's why I'm trying to find out if the vortex cdi would help any. Like any other hard core racer, I'm trying to get all I can out of what I've got. (with in reason) Any help would be great!!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2010 - 04:51 PM

Would you say that your 470 runs mostly higher rpm, and seems to flatten off quite a bit in the last 1500 revs before the limiter hits?

• roofer dude

Posted November 09, 2010 - 04:44 AM

Yes, that sound about right. I need some of your knowledge. Please...

• tech24

Posted November 09, 2010 - 05:24 AM

do you have any headwork done?

• roofer dude

Posted November 09, 2010 - 06:20 AM

Yes head has been ported. New valves and springs.

• KJ790

Posted November 09, 2010 - 06:30 AM

Sounds like the ignition is about all you have left to do to it. Go for it, it won't make the engine any slower. Check Ebay for used ones, you can often save a lot of money that way.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.