2010 YZ450F exhaust system??

86 replies to this topic
  • barns19

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:55 AM

go the drd slipp on the headder stock is pretty good so just a slipp on. drd makes the best exhaust for all yammies

• 95s10nj

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:43 AM

your bike looks killer....

Thanks...really happy with how everything turned out

+1 who did your graphics?

http://www.limiteddecal.com/ awesome customer service

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:38 PM

go the drd slipp on the headder stock is pretty good so just a slipp on. drd makes the best exhaust for all yammies

For the 10' 11' yz450f I strongly disagree:lame: The Drd has less peak hp than stock, blows the packing out in under 6hrs, and sounds like a soup can with a hole cut in it. :cheers:

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Yes the 2011 model is longer and I was told by the Yosh tech support that it was for sound reasons only and no performance was gained nor lossed. I do like the look of the shorter exhaust but the longer one isn't that bad.

Posted Image

That's what I expected, the performance is great nontheless. If there's a down side to this exaust it would be weight, 1.2 lbs heavier than stock on my scale. I like the look of the shorter one too! And A+ on the design work.:cheers:

• motomike137

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:30 AM

Just noticed that the FMF is a great price for their titanium/stainless 4.1 slip on. 20$ more than the MRD but with a titanium shell. That's what the specs say anyways...

http://www.fmfracing...370&w=460&1.jpg

Does this FMF slip on perform like the MRD? The way I understand it is that the stocker tapers down inside to a smaller dimension and the MRD has a larger opening which helps with top and maybe takes away a little down low?

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:59 AM

The way I understand it is that the stocker tapers down inside to a smaller dimension and the MRD has a larger opening which helps with top and maybe takes away a little down low?

You understand it mostly correctly except for two points:

• There is no loss in low end due to removing the diameter reduction at the outlet.
  • "Tapers down" is an extremely kind way to describe what the stock muffler does. :cheers:

• rdefonce

Posted April 07, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Does this FMF slip on perform like the MRD? The way I understand it is that the stocker tapers down inside to a smaller dimension and the MRD has a larger opening which helps with top and maybe takes away a little down low?

I just replaced my stock muffler (2010 yz450f) with MRD, and here is my "unofficial seat-of-the-pants" impression

(Gray this is slightly contradicting your comments, but this is what I felt.)

- slight loss of the abrupt low end hit
- definitely notice more power at higher RPM
- lastly (and a surprise) was; I finally could really hear the intake "honk" many people talked about, but only after installing the more open muffler . . . strange.

There is a difference in diameter of opening, but I was surprised how little difference it was between stock. Apparently a small diff in diameter makes quite a difference!

• Pmason718

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I haven't heard one person say Akraporvic? What's wrong with this pipe on the 10/11 bike

• aedwards07

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Its too expensive.haha.Not many people want to shell out over $1000 for a pipe

• Pmason718

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Its too expensive.haha.Not many people want to shell out over $1000 for a pipe

I thought I seen a slip-on for $600 on ebay. Besides the price and the fact that make great products what do we know about this pipe on this bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:24 AM

I thought I seen a slip-on for $600 on ebay. Besides the price and the fact that make great products what do we know about this pipe on this bike

The MRD (Mechanical Research & Development) slip on was under $300, and it's built like the proverbial "brick sh*t house".:cheers:
Really tough stuff, can take a beatin'

http://www.mrd-racing.com/page04.html

• Davey762

Posted April 11, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I haven't heard one person say Akraporvic? What's wrong with this pipe on the 10/11 bike

Great pipe, just very expensive. If they were close in price to yoshi i may have bought one, but I'm VERY happy with the yoshi exhaust! Great power increase across the board as well as being rubber mounted to when it gets hit it doesnt bend the exhaust as easily!

• Pmason718

Posted April 11, 2011 - 10:39 AM

I know there expensive, thus the reason I didn't buy one for my new ZX10R

• Pmason718

Posted April 11, 2011 - 10:43 AM

The MRD (Mechanical Research & Development) slip on was under $300, and it's built like the proverbial "brick sh*t house".:cheers:
Really tough stuff, can take a beatin'

http://www.mrd-racing.com/page04.html

Correction, $487 or best offer for slip-on. I don't see a need for a full system on the 2010/11 do you? I haven't taken a spin on the bike yet but besides weight (of an aftermarket exhaust) does a 1.8 or 2.5 increase in HP make that much of difference on a dirtbike? I'm just trying to justify it over stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

• Davey762

Posted April 11, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Correction, $487 or best offer for slip-on. I don't see a need for a full system on the 2010/11 do you? I haven't taken a spin on the bike yet but besides weight (of an aftermarket exhaust) does a 1.8 or 2.5 increase in HP make that much of difference on a dirtbike? I'm just trying to justify it over stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

IMO, it's definitely worth it. My bro has a bone stock 2010, I have a 2010 w/yoshi rs-4 full system and I leave him in the dust. The bike pulls so much more on top its almost unfair lol.

• jaro51

Posted April 11, 2011 - 11:49 AM

I thought I read that the Akro pipe was the pipe of choice for the '10 YZ450 according to MXA. Just expensive.

• rdefonce

Posted April 11, 2011 - 01:24 PM

IMO, it's definitely worth it. My bro has a bone stock 2010, I have a 2010 w/yoshi rs-4 full system and I leave him in the dust. The bike pulls so much more on top its almost unfair lol.

There is ALSO big diff between stock vs. stock header/aftermarket slip on.
Definitely pulls harder on top with MRD muffler, compared to stock muffler.

• Pmason718

Posted April 11, 2011 - 05:29 PM

so for the 2011 would you recommend a slip-on or full

• rdefonce

Posted April 12, 2011 - 04:59 AM

so for the 2011 would you recommend a slip-on or full

A slip-on, since stock header/mid pipe is good design.
MRD has done flow testing on stock header/midpipe, it flows well. The stock silencer is the culprit.

Like I said, there was a significant difference just changing the silencer.

• Pmason718

Posted April 12, 2011 - 06:15 AM

A slip-on, since stock header/mid pipe is good design.
MRD has done flow testing on stock header/midpipe, it flows well. The stock silencer is the culprit.

Like I said, there was a significant difference just changing the silencer.

Sounds good but after adding a slip-on are you guys also adding a power commander (PCIII or PC V). I guess what I'm asking is that after you replace the stock exhaust with an aftermarket slip-on what else needs to be done

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.