2010 YZ450F exhaust system??

86 replies to this topic
  • SEOINAGE

Posted November 15, 2010 - 01:09 PM

In all honesty I am going to have a hard time not spending all my money on this bike. I have been pinching every penny till I got it, now I have to force myself not to spend anymore, tough one.

• brentn

Posted November 15, 2010 - 01:45 PM

In all honesty I am going to have a hard time not spending all my money on this bike. I have been pinching every penny till I got it, now I have to force myself not to spend anymore, tough one.

I've spent all my money on this bike, so if your going to don't feel bad.

Every time I get some cash I'm looking at something that I can put on the bike to make it better for me...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 15, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Intriguing statement, backed up by nothing. I have two of them, and no problems with either except for the matter of the interference with the oil filter cover.

The muffler can on the DRD SS systems are aluminum, as are all of the non-carbon FMF cans that I'm aware of. if you keep the packing up, the badge holds up fine. All exhausts loose their bling over time, and the FMF Ti4 I had on my '03 was no different. By the time I sold that bike, the first bend of the header was permanently "dirt" colored. From there back to the muffler, a Ti pipe does tend to stay a little nicer looking in the long run than stainless, but SS takes well to being cleaned up with steel wool.

But that's all about what it looks like and not how it works.

I know what ya say about the pipe getting dirt colored. Mine was starting to around the tornado bend of the pipe. i took it off a couple days ago and cleaned it up and it looks like new now.

I forgot about the cans on the DRDs being aluminum. I took my FMF muffler off the other day and just had to wipe it down with some cleaner. It looks like brand new still since I dont have any scuffs on it.

• Chazmagnum

Posted November 16, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Sorry for the short review. Allow me to elaborate. Hmm where do I start. Ok, fit and finish- Fitment is good no complaints there. The end cap coating, powder coat or paint I'm not sure, is starting to bubble and flake after only 20hrs. Sound - IMO it is too loud and has a very tinny sound, almost like something is rattling. I have repacked and still sounds the same. No issues w/ oil filter as I thought this was a 2010 thread. But my biggest disappointment comes from the fact that as yamaha's goto guy Dr.D is the only after market pipe to make less peak hp than stock!!! Are you kidding me!!! Anyone who has or has ridden a 2010 yz450f knows this bike needs more revs and peak hp. No I don't work for procircuit lol. I have ridden a fmf set up for this bike and liked its smooth yet more powerful delivery. For me I am going to try the yosh set up, based on the reviews I have seen this is what I'm looking for.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 16, 2010 - 03:30 PM

Sorry for the short review. Allow me to elaborate. Hmm where do I start. Ok, fit and finish- Fitment is good no complaints there. The end cap coating, powder coat or paint I'm not sure, is starting to bubble and flake after only 20hrs. Sound - IMO it is too loud and has a very tinny sound, almost like something is rattling. I have repacked and still sounds the same. No issues w/ oil filter as I thought this was a 2010 thread. But my biggest disappointment comes from the fact that as yamaha's goto guy Dr.D is the only after market pipe to make less peak hp than stock!!! Are you kidding me!!! Anyone who has or has ridden a 2010 yz450f knows this bike needs more revs and peak hp. No I don't work for procircuit lol. I have ridden a fmf set up for this bike and liked its smooth yet more powerful delivery. For me I am going to try the yosh set up, based on the reviews I have seen this is what I'm looking for.

Yosh is what I would like to get, althought just the muffler, not sold on the complete set up.

• Davey762

Posted November 17, 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yosh is what I would like to get, althought just the muffler, not sold on the complete set up.

I have not tried just the slip on... but I do have the entire system and it rocks. Way better everywhere.

• bigal915

Posted November 22, 2010 - 06:24 PM

I just picked up a brand new 2010 YZF 450 and am wondering if anyone knows what the quietest slip-on muffler might be. I'm not too concerned about the performance improvements, mostly sound as I ride/race in Minnesota where the limit is 94.

I've used FMF Q series in the past and have been satisfied, but am open to trying another brand this time around.

• Troutman

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:30 PM

I picked up a 94db open insert for my Yosh for preformance reasons, it comes with the spark arrestor insert. I am not sure if it actualy registers at 94db because it seems as loud as the stocker.

• brentn

Posted November 22, 2010 - 10:03 PM

Just noticed that the FMF is a great price for their titanium/stainless 4.1 slip on. 20$ more than the MRD but with a titanium shell. That's what the specs say anyways...

http://www.fmfracing...370&w=460&1.jpg

• MRD RACING

Posted November 23, 2010 - 12:33 PM

FMF is doing the 20% off the reg. overpriced deal again or it would be different , aluminium is lighter than titainium , looks like typical stamped out FMF construction excepet the connector tube is pointed the wrong way , excuse me if I sound bitter but when a company exploit's the market with huge profit margins when times are good and then tells you how they are gonig to do you a favor and give you a break ( no doubt because they are slow like everybody else is during these hard times )when times are tough makes me sick

Edited by DH367, November 23, 2010 - 12:52 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MRD RACING

Posted November 23, 2010 - 12:46 PM

I just picked up a brand new 2010 YZF 450 and am wondering if anyone knows what the quietest slip-on muffler might be. I'm not too concerned about the performance improvements, mostly sound as I ride/race in Minnesota where the limit is 94.

I've used FMF Q series in the past and have been satisfied, but am open to trying another brand this time around.

if you need the quietest get the FMF Q , there is not gonig to be a perf. increase , in fact there will be a small loss but if you need super quiet your stuck and wont get a power increase

• andy250

Posted November 23, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Just noticed that the FMF is a great price for their titanium/stainless 4.1 slip on. 20$ more than the MRD but with a titanium shell. That's what the specs say anyways...

http://www.fmfracing...370&w=460&1.jpg

Why do we insist on vilifying the 'big guys' for trying to make profit? I'm sure the MRD is a fine exhaust, but a great value, it is not.

Take note that MRD charges 20 bucks for shipping. You'll also spend $15 for a quiet insert - which is included in the price of the FMF. It took me about 5 minutes to find the FMF (stainless) for right around 269.95 delivered. The MRD, with quiet insert, would be $314 (279 + 20 + 15) delivered.

• bigal915

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Why do we insist on vilifying the 'big guys' for trying to make profit? I'm sure the MRD is a fine exhaust, but a great value, it is not.

Take note that MRD charges 20 bucks for shipping. You'll also spend $15 for a quiet insert - which is included in the price of the FMF. It took me about 5 minutes to find the FMF (stainless) for right around 269.95 delivered. The MRD, with quiet insert, would be $314 (279 + 20 + 15) delivered.

FMF is certainly the best deal I can find too and in my experiences is usually the quietest as well. V&H has a slip-on for $299 with an optional 94dB insert for another $42!! And with any of these, is there any guarantee what they'll test at? FMF claims: "Max Sound output 96dB; most models below 93dB".

Probably a topic for another thread, but I have an 08 KTM 250 XC-F with a 300 kit that has NEVER tested below 94 with the Q series, so I'm skeptical a 450 will test at or below 94 with anything. Although a buddy with an 07 KXF 450 with a full Yosh system and quiet insert has tested at 94.

I just don't want to spend $400, get to a race, and it doesn't pass.

• MRD RACING

Posted November 24, 2010 - 12:53 PM

I wouldn't if they would just say that they are trying to make a profit instead of saying they are doing what a leader does and give back when times are tough , they are hurting like everybody else and are trying to move some pipes when people cant afford the normal high price , and trust me it takes alot less $ to stamp out thin gage parts then the way I build pipes and they are still making plenty of $ even with the 20% off deal , I dont make $ on shipping , some of the east coast costs me more than 20 bucks and 20 bucks doesnt cover the box/bubble wrap/tape on the states that are a buck or two less, and if you asked around you would find out that people get free quiet inserts all the time , I just cant throw one in every box when it might never be used , you can always find a deal on a product that has a large distribution , my pipes are totaly hand fabricated and built to last backed by customer service you wont get anywhere else so you dont get dealers cutting each others throat to sell them , they might not seem like a great value to you though

• MRD RACING

Posted November 24, 2010 - 02:21 PM

FMF is certainly the best deal I can find too and in my experiences is usually the quietest as well. V&H has a slip-on for $299 with an optional 94dB insert for another $42!! And with any of these, is there any guarantee what they'll test at? FMF claims: "Max Sound output 96dB; most models below 93dB".

Probably a topic for another thread, but I have an 08 KTM 250 XC-F with a 300 kit that has NEVER tested below 94 with the Q series, so I'm skeptical a 450 will test at or below 94 with anything. Although a buddy with an 07 KXF 450 with a full Yosh system and quiet insert has tested at 94.

I just don't want to spend $400, get to a race, and it doesn't pass.

that is more proof that the current 20" low rpm test is useless , there is no way the 250 with a Q is louder than the 450 with the yosh w/ insert at full throttle , that is why the FIM has a new full throttle sound test and until the new 2 meter max sound test is the new standard we will have to put up with this type of bs

• BBrown626

Posted November 25, 2010 - 07:44 PM

There's a shitty pic of it in an online review for it if you search through google. Looks like it puffs out a bit and adds extra surface area for more air flow.
I think personally you'll only see a decent benefit if you do some porting/cam work to the bike however. Just my opinion however.

brentn,
I was given two sets of plastics off one of the MotoConcepts 450's. The air scoops had four 1/2" holes across the lower edge and 4 different size holes near the top of the scoop. I threw them on for riding today. I used the DT-1 over-the-cage filter. There was a noticeable improvement in bottom end grunt. There was one step-up out of a corner that I was having a hard time with before. Today I was able to clear it easily and even toyed with delaying the throttle. The combination made a great improvement, even with my stock pipe.

Now I don't know if it was the holes in the intake or the DT-1, so I will try a flat filter next time.

The other effect of the mod is a SIGNIFICANT boost in intake noise. The intake was pretty loud when I was on the gas.

• brentn

Posted November 25, 2010 - 11:05 PM

brentn,
I was given two sets of plastics off one of the MotoConcepts 450's. The air scoops had four 1/2" holes across the lower edge and 4 different size holes near the top of the scoop. I threw them on for riding today. I used the DT-1 over-the-cage filter. There was a noticeable improvement in bottom end grunt. There was one step-up out of a corner that I was having a hard time with before. Today I was able to clear it easily and even toyed with delaying the throttle. The combination made a great improvement, even with my stock pipe.

Now I don't know if it was the holes in the intake or the DT-1, so I will try a flat filter next time.

The other effect of the mod is a SIGNIFICANT boost in intake noise. The intake was pretty loud when I was on the gas.

Thanks for the input, I'm curious if it was the holes you cut or the DT1 that made the performance boost, or both.
I took one of the intake ducts off of my bike completely and rode for a day, didn't notice any difference at all in performance. However I only put around on the trails, had I done some lap time comparisons on a track then maybe I would have noticed a difference too...
I did notice that it was much much louder in the high rpms, like an ear piercing gurgling from the intake when the duct was off the bike.
I'm tempted to do the mod myself for my own bike, I contemplated it before and then ditched the idea last minute cause I tried it myself and didn't notice anything. But if it really does work, it may open up the bike quite a bit if you add some more free-flowing parts to it!

• HRC

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:46 AM

When talking about drilling holes.....

Notice that some teams drill holes in the sidepanels for the exhaust.

Posted Image

• steve_97060

Posted November 26, 2010 - 10:00 AM

brentn,

is there anyway you could post some pics of these holes in the intake?
are you using just the DT-1 filter or the new cage/filter combo?
I am trying to decide if I should get the complete system or just the filters..

thanks for the input...

• MRD RACING

Posted November 26, 2010 - 04:15 PM

[quote name='HRC']When talking about drilling holes.....

Notice that some teams drill holes in the sidepanels for the exhaust.

Posted Image[/QUOTE

I think that is because those guys are allways on the gas and the exhaust gets so hot they are trying to get some cooling air on it because it heats up the shock too much

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.