What year wr450 to look for

11 replies to this topic
  • turbohaulic

Posted November 04, 2010 - 11:29 AM

I am in the market for a wr450 and was wondering what years to look for as far as being the better years to get. I currently own a 92 wr 250 and a 93 wr 500 but think its time to try out the 4t.:excuseme: Thanks

• jayh300

Posted November 04, 2010 - 11:45 AM

from what i have read... the 03's had a starter problem that was fixed in 04.. have also read the 03 could be upgraded with 04 parts (not sure about that)
i have a bud that has an 04 and i have an 06.. both are good bikes..
the 06 has 48mm forks, the 04 has 46mm forks both steel frames.
the 07 and up are aluminum framed..
i think they are all good bikes.. get the newest one you can..
i would like to have the wr500... neat bikes.. i had a 92 wr200 back in the day also..
really liked that bike..

• turbohaulic

Posted November 04, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. its good to know when the aluminum frame came out. I imagine they would be better to get. I don't know to much about the 4t wr's. I've rode the hell out of that 92 and its been a great bike. The 500 has a ton of power and is in near mint condition so I don't ride it to often:)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 05, 2010 - 10:03 AM

I have an 05 wr450 and it also has 48mm forks. I am so happy with the bike that I feel no real desire to upgrade to the aluminum framed one. I put a new piston and top end on it, shimmed a valve (first in 5 years) and it runs perfect. 8K miles and all it needed was a new $300 piston kit.

Point is... all of them are good. find one in reasonably good shape and buy it. Aluminum frame is obviously better, but you won't be sorry with the steel framed ones.

• dgcars

Posted November 05, 2010 - 01:35 PM

The alloy frame is supposed to be nicer on the tight trails. Some good deals on pre '07 after market parts though. No matter what, just go for a clean & looked after one. They will both live forever...

• 2in2out

Posted November 07, 2010 - 10:04 PM

I've had a '02 WR426, an '06 WR450, and just acquired an 07.

03-06 will be easier to work on because of the frame, which allows better access to the carb and head.

03-05 had different geometry, but are also Red sticker bikes in Kalifornia.

The 06 was a good frame and geometry for singletrack and enduros. It also has better access for routine maintenance. The AIS system is a complete waste, and it's removal will clean things up a bit. It was heavy, but each bike gets lighter every year. I had stock sprockets, and it climbed everything I pointed it at.

The 07 I've found to have better geometry, and good feedback (even w/o the suspension being done), but I've only ridden it around the neighborhood. Access to the carb and head are limited. The AIS system is a complete waste, and it's removal will clean things up a bit. The aluminum bolt points have tendency to strip easy.

Thats all I have to say on 07 as of yet. I'll update as I get more into riding next week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 07, 2010 - 10:27 PM

03-05 had different geometry, but are also Red sticker bikes in Kalifornia.

05 and 06 wr450's are green sticker in Kali

• YamaLink

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:18 AM

As for the steel vs aluminun it would seem the alu frame is the one to seek, but I have a riding bud who goes so much better on his older steel frame WRF. Sold the newer aluminum frame 450.

• turbohaulic

Posted November 09, 2010 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the insight. I agree that any would be a great bike and to look for a clean well cared for bike. I think the Alum frame would be better but the steel framed ones are only 2 lbs heavier and are still damn good bikes (from what I've read) :p I'm now on the hunt for the well cared for bike with some sweet goodies!!

• dez4ever

Posted November 12, 2010 - 10:45 AM

I've had an 00', 02', 04', 06' and finally an 08'. i''ve raced all of them in the National Hare & Hound series and I truely believe my 08' is head and shoulders above the rest. The aluminum frame really gives it a more planted feel than the steely's, the brakes the power delivery everything just seems better. The aluminum frame is harder to work around but I feel the other aspects of the the bike out weigh the negatives.

Good luck,

• Navaho6

Posted November 12, 2010 - 12:23 PM

I've had an 00', 02', 04', 06' and finally an 08'. i''ve raced all of them in the National Hare & Hound series ..................

Did you revalve the '08 suspension?

• dez4ever

Posted November 13, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I did revalve my bike...I'm a bit heavy with all my gear on for the stock settings. It worked well in rocky type terrain but in the bigger woops and g outs it was way soft for my weight and riding style. After the revalve and an adjustment or two it works really well in the desert and woods.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.