Taller seat

4 replies to this topic
  • FOX426

Posted March 02, 2001 - 06:33 PM

Anyone using taller seat foam? Reccomendations? I am looking for info on the, new to the mx industry, SDG; and CEET taller foam. I am 6'2' and plan on raising my bars as well. Taller guys, whats up?

------------------
The world loves talent but, pays off on character.

• oweel

Posted March 03, 2001 - 09:44 AM

I have a taller seat foam. I have tried it in the garage without staples. For me it was verry tall, even a little to tall (I am 1 meter 87 tall.). It is about 2,5-3 cm (+/- 1 inch) taller then the original foam. I use the original seat foam insteed. I was afraid that the centre of gravity will become to high, and that this will be a disadvantage in corners. Maybe I will try on the track in the near future, then I will let you know.
Marco.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enmerdeur

Posted March 03, 2001 - 02:00 PM

You may want to check out FactoryEffex. They have foam that is taller and softer. http://www.factoryef...om/seatfoam.htm

• SNF

Posted March 06, 2001 - 09:51 AM

For me being tall, it's the best thing I did to the bike. Have tried a tall/soft foam purchased from Devol, and a tall/medium purchased from Baja Designs. These are truely taller foams. Prefer the tall/medium for MX. You have to buy a seat cover to specifically to fit these foams.

[This message has been edited by SNF (edited 03-08-2001).]

• wpattison

Posted March 08, 2001 - 12:23 PM

i use taller foam, but only on my cross country scoot. i'm 5' 11", and i find it saves mucho energy going from sitting to standing. over the course of a 2h race, it makes a difference.

my first one was from thumper racing, which i believe is made by guts. the quality of the foam was lousy, and it was way too soft.

my newest one is from ceet, and i have a tall buddy that also has one from ceet- i believe they call it the "high henry" replica. very firm, very nice. however, one thing i have found with both of these is that for some strange reason the profile is not the same as stock. if you look at a stock yz4xx saddle, the corners are very round, at least right behind the tank. for me, the square corners on the taller foam made it feel like i was riding a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood- on edge, and it made the bike turn like one, too.

soooo, i reshaped the foam to make it flatter front to back, and rounder in cross section where i sit most of the time. reshaping has also been a lesson-filled experience. believe it or not, i ultimately settled on using my 4" right angle grinder with a clean, new, standard hard grinding wheel. you have to exercise a light touch, to be sure, but it makes the best, smoothest cut of anything i have tried. it's a huge mess, of course, but well worth the effort in easier turning. i finish it off with sandpaper and fill any exposed bubble holes with silicon.

sorry this turned into such a dissertation, but i hope it helps.

------------------
will pattison
racer, engineer
www.ignitioninc.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.