getiing a 2011 !!! what do i need to know ?

17 replies to this topic
  • ChillyKTM

Posted November 03, 2010 - 05:58 AM

Just ordered my 2011 450 :excuseme: ....aside from usual general out of the crate setup ....anything specific setup and /or problems etc I should know ?

• APlusAutoParts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:29 AM

grease your steering head bearings

• Toby259

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:15 AM

Scrap the stock chain before it wears your sprockets; change the front tire to something that works well for your area. Check the tire pressure, I have seen it as high as 30PSI from some dealers. Also check the chain tension, make sure it's not too tight, the bike needs a little more slack than others.

surprisingly, mine actually had decent grease in the linkage.

• HRC

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Twist the throtte and hang on for dear life !!!

• Chris Lane

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:36 AM

:excuseme::smirk::ride:Get the programer and enjoy

• YamaLink

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Yep, good input....

Check air filter.
Spoke tension.
Go over the bolts.
Sometimes linkage and bearing grease is missing or low.
Got oil?
Tire pressure.

• tech24

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:52 AM

+1 on tuner,
+1 on chain what a pile mine didn't wear my sprockets but wore/stretched to max adjustment in a few rides.
Mine was also greased well
some have used more than normal sag or lowering link for rear(mine is 115mm)
larger rear sproket is popular, i like 49 personally.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 03, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Where did you order it from? I want to buy the 2011, but not a chance I am paying full retail. Was supposed to have a connection through a friend of a friend, but not sure if that is going to go through.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:47 PM

Where did you order it from? I want to buy the 2011, but not a chance I am paying full retail. Was supposed to have a connection through a friend of a friend, but not sure if that is going to go through.

Get a 2010 with a kickin deal...and ride it. NOTHING (for the most part) is changed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SEOINAGE

Posted November 04, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Get a 2010 with a kickin deal...and ride it. NOTHING (for the most part) is changed

They really did that good a job with the first year they haven't had to make many changes? I really like the grey and black from2010. I know they changed the push rod for the clutch, but seriously everything else was that spot on?

I was at a dealer a month ago checking out the 2010 of course the 2011 wasn't in stock yet, one dealer only offered me 500 off retail, the other offered me 1k off, but I know with the 11 coming out they would be more than willing to meet a much lower offer. I was kind of hoping for the 2011, but if there isn't much reason to get it, why pay more.

• thumpinberry

Posted November 04, 2010 - 05:30 AM

call tim fix at powersports 507-775-7242 he will ship it to you

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 04, 2010 - 08:21 PM

I said to hell with the pushrod. I havent had a problem with a slipping clutch, I just set mine up with a rekluse for MX and let it ride. Love it. EVERYTHING ON THIS BIKE IS THOUGHT OUT!

• brentn

Posted November 05, 2010 - 09:15 AM

When I greased my suspension bearings out of the box for my 2010 I found that they were greased fairly well. Linkage and shock bearings were pretty good, I scooped the grease out anyways and lubed up with my own.
Either way you should check, but if the grease looks sufficient as it was in my case, just leave it and put it back together.

• matthewdcross

Posted November 07, 2010 - 04:08 PM

They really did that good a job with the first year they haven't had to make many changes? I really like the grey and black from2010. I know they changed the push rod for the clutch, but seriously everything else was that spot on?

I was at a dealer a month ago checking out the 2010 of course the 2011 wasn't in stock yet, one dealer only offered me 500 off retail, the other offered me 1k off, but I know with the 11 coming out they would be more than willing to meet a much lower offer. I was kind of hoping for the 2011, but if there isn't much reason to get it, why pay more.

Yep it is that good!! I got my 2010 for 6399 plus 400 for shipping. Great deal!! I took the linkage apart on mine and regreased it. I thought that the grease was kind of on the slim side. Also I would change the oil after the first hour of riding and run non-synthetic oil for at least the first four hours to allow the rings to seat good.

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2010 - 05:01 PM

... run non-synthetic oil for at least the first four hours to allow the rings to seat good.

You do realize that that is a total myth, right?

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:06 AM

Yep it is that good!! I got my 2010 for 6399 plus 400 for shipping. Great deal!! I took the linkage apart on mine and regreased it. I thought that the grease was kind of on the slim side. Also I would change the oil after the first hour of riding and run non-synthetic oil for at least the first four hours to allow the rings to seat good.

k good deal, cause around 6k is all I really wanted to pay. Thanks for the info.

• Swapper265

Posted November 08, 2010 - 11:37 PM

You do realize that that is a total myth, right?

So true, this maybe applied 10-15 years ago, but oil development has come a long, long way !!

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2010 - 07:29 AM

So true, this maybe applied 10-15 years ago, but oil development has come a long, long way !!

Piston ring development even more so. If the rings haven't seated in 20 minutes, you've done something wrong, and oil of any kind won't prevent it. Break-in should be over after the first hour, hour and a half.

There are a number of expensive cars that ship from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase from day one, and who will void your warranty for using anything else.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.