This is a stupid question but i need help

7 replies to this topic
  • JR650

Posted July 07, 2003 - 05:36 PM

Ok, i was about to order the acerbis pro rally barkbusters for my BRP today and saw that a mounting kit was available, is this something i need too? (told you it was a dumb question) Someone please help, i am really clueless about handguards. Thanx in advance, JR

• smashinz2002

Posted July 07, 2003 - 05:54 PM

Ah dude, I wish I knew but I don't know! I'm still using the stock stuff! :)

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 08, 2003 - 02:27 AM

JR - You need the mounting kit if you have non standard bars like Renthal Fat Bars or ProTaper. The Rally Pros come with a mounting kit for the standard bar diameter. The kit should be around $15. You should also get the add on pieces that attach to the top of the guards for added protection. I got mine from Baja Designs. :)

• JR650

Posted July 08, 2003 - 01:55 PM

No fatbars here, thanks thumpdaddy, time to get the credit card out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sunnymex

Posted July 08, 2003 - 02:38 PM

JR,

I don't mean to try and talk you out of buying the hand guards, but I would not recommend them. I have seen them time after time bend and stick the throttle. They also add a good bit of weight and if you do fall on them they will likely bend on you. Then when that happens, either the clutch or brake levers don't work as they should.

Anyhow, as you can see I don't like them very much. I run the stock protectors and have never had a problem. Granted I live in the desert and don't really have any big trees to speak of, but I would think that if you are going to hit a tree with or without bark busters it is going to hurt both you and your bike.

Good luck and if you decide to buy them, be sure and locktite the mounting bolts on the bars as they also have a tendency to come loose and fall off.

• JR650

Posted July 08, 2003 - 05:22 PM

A second opinion is always good, thanks for the input. I think where i ride, i usually end up hitting sub 2" trees that just hurt like a bugger and not usually alot of bigger ones, the throttle point is something i hadnt considered though.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 09, 2003 - 02:36 AM

Sunnymex/JR,
I ride mostly desert (Ocotillo Wells)and was at Havasu with Rokatt last weekend. I can tell you that there may not be redwoods out there, but there certainly is sizeable brush and small trees with limbs that I seem to find. Without the guards it would be big pain. I am also proud to say that I have had a few tip overs and they have never bent although they have swiveled up. The screws have never come loose in the bar end or on the bracket mount on mine. For a clean installation, use a 7/8" butterfly wood bit to drill out the end of the grips. My 3 cents. :)

• sunnymex

Posted July 09, 2003 - 06:41 AM

Maybe it is these southern latitudes that cause all of the havok then. I have had a friend of mine loose bolts like it is his job. He crashed once and the things bent in and his throttle was never the same again. Maybe it is just bad luck. We have lots of cactus down here and they can also be a nuisance, but nothing that the stock hand guards don't take care of.

Either way, I am sure that you will be in good shape. Just don't hit things or fall and you will be great.

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.