Ticking YZ400F

5 replies to this topic
  • Apgar1

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:30 PM

I just got a 98 YZ400 and i noticed a loud tick when you open the throttle at a lower rpm. What causes this?

• Ryan426

Posted November 03, 2010 - 03:53 AM

valves

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:56 AM

Valves don't know the throttle is open. It's more likely an exhaust leak, a head gasket leak, or a pinging condition caused by low octane fuel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluethumper98

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:39 AM

Check where the header meets the silencer pipe. They have a big crush gasket that can leak with age and use. I chucked the stock exhaust because it sucks, blocked the oil filter and hard to seal.

• Apgar1

Posted November 03, 2010 - 11:43 AM

I have a full powerbomb on it and that makes sense. It does have a small leak where the two pipes meet. I was woried about the top end. How can i tell when it need the timing chain changed? It starts on the first or second kick every time.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2010 - 12:18 PM

How can i tell when it need the timing chain changed?

If you don't know when the last one was installed, it needs one.

You can visually inspect the chain in several ways. Wear can be seen on the driven faces of the plates. If the tensioner is slacked off (only do this at near TDC on compression, and don't turn the engine over while the tensioner is slack), you can check for stiff, binding links. If you remove the chain, the amount that the chain can be curved sideways is another indication.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.