Suspension sag help

4 replies to this topic
  • mitch179

Posted November 02, 2010 - 03:11 PM

I just got a 2009 YZ450F and I want to set the sag. What kind of sag are you guys running on this bike?

I have a background in street / road race bikes (quite new to dirt bikes) and I know it's very important to set your sags, do you do front and rear like on a street bike or just the rear? Reason I ask is, I find most info only mentions the rear sag and not the front...?

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2010 - 03:28 PM

The front really isn't adjustable on the front with a dirt bike like it is on many street bikes. To start with, if you are using stock springs, you should weigh in at around 175-185 more or less for the rates to be right.

Rider sag in the rear should be around 95-100. I usually recommend pulling the fork tubes up about 5mm as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted November 03, 2010 - 05:53 AM

Here's a good little tutorial: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• mitch179

Posted November 03, 2010 - 01:10 PM

I clearly had a massive brain fart considering I forgot there was no preload adjustment on the front!

I would weigh in at about 75kg which is close to 175 in your money :excuseme:

Thanks heaps for the info, I'll go set it up!

• YamaLink

Posted November 03, 2010 - 01:43 PM

I had a few last week when it came to forks. I was insisting to a few friends and even online forums that the 06 YZ forks were just regular ol' forks, not SSS.

Now I know why my buddies were giving me the ???? look all night.

I clearly had a massive brain fart considering I forgot there was no preload adjustment on the front!

I would weigh in at about 75kg which is close to 175 in your money :excuseme:

Thanks heaps for the info, I'll go set it up!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.