BG CF5 fuel addative????

4 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:37 AM

Its that time of year where I don't know how much I'll get to ride and its getting freakin cold. I need to start using some stabilizer. I have an almost free lifetime supply of BG products one of which is CH5. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it and if the ingredients sound safe with E10 and/or high performence engines. And if it even works as a stabilizer, the can says it does but its intended purpose is deposite control.

The ingredients are: mineral spirits; petrleum distillates; 1,3,5-Trymethylebenzene; 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene; xylene

Not sure what most stabilizers contain (alchohol and mineral oil I believe) but just wondering if any one had any input???....gray????

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:05 AM

Not much call for fuel stabilizers around here, really, as we pretty much ride year-round.

Sea-Foam, which the company promotes as a multi-purpose additive, is light oil, isopropyl alcohol and naptha. Don't know about Sta-Bil. Might work, might not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Its that time of year where I don't know how much I'll get to ride and its getting freakin cold. I need to start using some stabilizer. I have an almost free lifetime supply of BG products one of which is CH5. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it and if the ingredients sound safe with E10 and/or high performence engines. And if it even works as a stabilizer, the can says it does but its intended purpose is deposite control.

The ingredients are: mineral spirits; petrleum distillates; 1,3,5-Trymethylebenzene; 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene; xylene

Not sure what most stabilizers contain (alchohol and mineral oil I believe) but just wondering if any one had any input???....gray????

"RED" Stabil does not treat the newer $hit E10 fuel, the Stabil marine (black) formula does. An even better off season storage treatment fluid is called Startron... I SWEAR by the stuff...

• tech24

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:22 AM

I probably don't need it but since its nearly free was gonna use it, I used to use stuff in an orange bottle from BG but they don't carry it anymore. I'll probably end up riding a lot even in 10 degrees but seems the older I get the more ***** I become about the cold so who knows what this winter brings.

Just wondering if any of the ingredients sounded like a stabilizer, possivble petrolium distillates but not sure.

• cyrusdavirus

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:42 PM

I am going to pick up some marine formula sta-bil soon and give it a try. I had no idea that regular sta-bil doesn't work well with E10 Fuel. I use sea foam right now and my opinion is the sea foam is more of a cleaner and not a stabilzer. It cleans so well it has caused my bikes to run crappy since it cleans all the gunk off and then the gunk falls to the bottom. Did this to my CL350, Honda Ruckus, and now DR350SE. They run great once you burn it out, but they run worst for a while.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.