WR450 steering head leaking

10 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:49 PM

I am noticing a kinda black powder substance collecting on the top of my front fender behind the pivot point after a ride. There is no slop in the steering that I can see or feel. Has anyone noticed the same stuff on their bike? Is it factory steering bearing overlube?
Thanks
Ted :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 08, 2003 - 03:20 AM

Ted, I just regreased my headset bearings on my 450 two days ago, They were completly DRY!!! I'm guessing that the black dust is rust!! You must repack your bearings before you ride again or you'll be asking for trouble.. Our bikes don't come greased very well... Take your bars and top clamp off and pack them as best as you can..

Keep us posted on what you find...

Dan :)

• ddialogue

Posted July 08, 2003 - 03:30 AM

It's been said before...you need to grease the steering head bearings before riding the bike too long. I just did mine recently and although they weren't completely dry (like Dan's) they definitely needed to be greased.

It was a pain in the butt to grease them but it's something that needs to be done. I am seriously considering performing the zerk mod so I never have to take it a part again! :)

• ETP

Posted July 08, 2003 - 03:42 PM

I shall do so this weekend and post my lack of lube level.
I will also prepare the garage floor for a shower of ball bearings.
Thanks guys...

• BlueThunder

Posted July 08, 2003 - 09:02 PM

No worries man.....they're tapered roller bearings. Just pack em like a wheel bearing and watch the torque when reassembling and you're money. It's an easy job. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted July 09, 2003 - 02:06 AM

Installing a grease zerk on the steering head is a must :). After that I decided to clean and relub all the bearings, No joke, the total amount of grease I cleaned up was no more than a spoonfull.

I had to replace my top steering head bearing. Rust spots appeared just after a few weeks of riding. Bottom was ok. It is a very easy job to do.

Frequent relub is mandatory because the grease in this area gets hot by the engine oil in the frame.

And remember that using pressure washer to wash the bike is efficient, but much less on the linkage points where you have bearings.

Regards

• ddialogue

Posted July 09, 2003 - 02:17 AM

Installing a grease zerk on the steering head is a must

I zerked my swingarm linkages already but just haven't gotten around to doing the steering head. It's on my list of things to do. :)

• beezer

Posted July 09, 2003 - 03:31 AM

Hey who you calling a zerk? :)

Yamaha saves .02 cents per bike by not greasing them.

• ddialogue

Posted July 09, 2003 - 03:37 AM

Hey who you calling a zerk?

Beezer,

I miss your old tag line....."Sponsors: None. I'm a Zerk."

:) :D :D :D

• MOmilkman

Posted July 09, 2003 - 03:58 AM

Is it factory steering bearing overlube?
Thanks
Ted :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yea! Like thats ever happened!!!!! :D :D :D ;)
:usa: :usa: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I put a zerk on my steering head years ago and havent had it apart since. Bearings are still tight as ever and just a couple pumps every few rides does the trick! :applause:

• wrooster

Posted July 09, 2003 - 08:21 AM

guys,

just FYI

the steering head re-lube process (and linkage too!) is here.

and you can also find some good tips in the Yamaha 250F FAQ,
specifically there is a cleaned up version of my post above here.

ps, also take a look at this post.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.