WR450 noise from chain area

4 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:40 PM

Maybe some of you guys have experienced this.
I started hearing a clunking noise at slow speeds. Seems to be coming from the chain area on the left side of the bike, which has about 1000 miles logged. I kinda remember hearing some of you TTr's discussing this awhile back. Is the chain too loose? It seems OK. Maybe its a guard loose?

• gloft

Posted July 08, 2003 - 05:35 AM

It's just chain slap. Make sure you have it adjusted properly and ride on! I think all big bore bikes see this. I've got the high end sidewinder tri molly chain and mine still makes a noise. At first I thought it was valve slap until I rode my buddy's KTM 520 and heard the same thing. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 99-life

Posted July 08, 2003 - 06:14 AM

TM Designworks makes a chain slider that they claim reduces chain noise by 10-20%. TM Designworks Chain Slider

• xr600r

Posted July 08, 2003 - 09:47 AM

Get a tube of stuff called shoe goop, put a thin layer under the top of the chain slider,between the rubber and the swingarm. this cuts down on the slapping noise... alot. :)

• ETP

Posted July 08, 2003 - 03:37 PM

Shoe goop it is.
Thanks guys!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.