NEED NEW ENGINE FOR XR650R !!!!!!!!!

13 replies to this topic
  • sunnymex

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:21 PM

Well reality has finally hit it. After a few weeks of denial, I have finally some to terms with the fact that I need a new engine. :D After blowing mine to shreds in the Baja 500, I have begun the search for a new engine. If anyone out there has one sitting around, I might be interested in buying one. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks for the help. I feel so alone without my BRP!!! It is really depressing, I think I need a support group. :) :D

• Rokatt88

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:33 PM

SunnyMex Buddy! Sorry to hear about yer motor. What let go on it? I'll keep an eye/ear out for any loose engines. Man, I feel your pain...

• Dutch

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:50 PM

Sorry for your loss :)
Anything left to rebuild? Crankcase?

• sunnymex

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:56 PM

Rokatt,

Yes it is a sad day. Pretty stupid really. I picked up my bike at the shop after getting some things done, among them having my filter cleaned. Well to my surprise that evening as I went to clean the filter as I remove the airbox cover there was no filter in there and in its absence a lot of dirt and crud. So what ended up happening is that dirt got into the cylinder and began going at the rings and eventually burning them out, which in turn started to burn up the oil and when that was all done, the inside of the engine began charbroiling itself into nothing. Apparently the only thing left that still is good is the cases. Really sucks. What I have learned is never to rely on other people to get stuff done for you and if you have to, be sure they did it right.

I am sure there are a handful of you out there saying, well how did you not notice or expect this to happen. Well I pretty much tore into the simple things, such as airbox, carb and the intake into the engine and nothing beyond the airbox was dirty. The carb was perfectly clean as was the intake to the engine, so I figured that all was good. I think the majority of the damage was done during the race, but by that point it was too late, the damage had already been done.

So that leaves me where I am now. Sulking and wishing that I could blame someone, but in the end realizing that I should have checked the basics beore riding. Life goes on, now just have to wait and see what the damage is going to be. Johnny Cambells mechaninc is re-building my engine, so I figure that it is in good hands this time. I miss my bike though. Miss the power!! :)

• smashinz2002

Posted July 07, 2003 - 05:59 PM

You race your bike but you let other people work on it?? What?? :)

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 08, 2003 - 05:25 AM

Sunny - Check your PMs.
Do you mean that Precision Concepts has your motor right now?

Tim

Baja Bound Moto.com

• sunnymex

Posted July 08, 2003 - 06:53 AM

You race your bike but you let other people work on it?? :)

You know, I would love to be able to work on my own bike all of the time, but as I am sure you can understand every now and then work must take priority and at that point in time I had no choice but to put my trust in someone elses hands. Believe me that is one mistake that I will NEVER make again. :D (exchange comp for mechanics head) Plus like now, there are just some things that I will admit I am probably not that qualified in doing, such as en entire engine rebuild. Maybe someday, but not at this juncture, not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_Whitman

Posted July 10, 2003 - 04:50 AM

I have a good running 2001 650r engine that I can part with. It has less then 1000 miles on it. It is in perfect condition - except, it will need a left crankcase cover or some kind of repair. I had a chain break at high speed and it broke the crankcase cover where the clutch actuator arm is. You should have the parts to fix it if you still have your old engine..

• thmprracer

Posted July 15, 2003 - 05:38 AM

Scott if the engine is still available shoot me an e mail I would be interested.

Jim
jdb480@aol.com

• Lencho

Posted March 11, 2004 - 06:48 AM

Rokatt,
Well to my surprise that evening as I went to clean the filter as I remove the airbox cover there was no filter in there and in its absence a lot of dirt and crud. So what ended up happening is that dirt got into the cylinder and began going at the rings and eventually burning them out, which in turn started to burn up the oil and when that was all done, the inside of the engine began charbroiling itself into nothing. Apparently the only thing left that still is good is the cases. Really sucks. What I have learned is never to rely on other people to get stuff done for you and if you have to, be sure they did it right.

Sunny-- Out of curiosity, which shop was that? I'm trying to get a feel for the bike shops down here (I'm in La Paz).

Thanks-- Larry

• sunnymex

Posted March 15, 2004 - 03:33 PM

Larry,

I actually got it fixed up in SD at Presicion Concepts. They are ones that work the Honda race bikes for the off road team. Great place.

• YoungGunXR

Posted March 15, 2004 - 05:53 PM

So let me get this straight. You took your bike to the shop to work on your bike. They didnt put the airfilter back on it.... WOuldnt they be in fault for that...or at least a little. I know its a good idea to check stuff after someone else has been working on your bike but....dang they should pay you something at least. My xr400 is down right now and its driving me crazy and I have 4 other things to ride. Hope it works out for you. :)

• Lencho

Posted March 16, 2004 - 05:05 AM

Larry,
I actually got it fixed up in SD at Presicion Concepts. They are ones that work the Honda race bikes for the off road team. Great place.

Congratulations, sounds like you went to the right place. What I was asking, actually, is what shop had left the filter out to start this whole show...

Thanks-- Larry

• irondude

Posted March 16, 2004 - 11:19 AM

this post is kind of like an old freind. I remeber back when it started. I was younger, and full of hope and big plans.

Sunny's posts often seem to take on a life of their own...

I guess if ya live in Cabo, life is like that! :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.