Honda TLR200 cam chain adjusment

12 replies to this topic
  • technoweenie

Posted November 01, 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi there

I have a Honda Reflex TLR200 I've been riding for a number of years. Its a great little machine and a blast to ride.

Have noticed lately the timing chain is noisy and needs adjust, but not sure how to go about it. I do know there is a nut which must be loosened while the engine is idling, but what happens from here? :excuseme:

Thanks

• ThatsA5

Posted November 02, 2010 - 03:51 AM

All I can offer right now is to get the shop manual. I have the same motor on my bench and plan on doing the same thing....but have not yet done it.

If you like I could scan the pages and email them to you...PM me your email addy. Though I must warn you I'm so computer dumb, snail mail may be faster.

• technoweenie

Posted November 02, 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hi

Would appreciate if you could email me those pages with that info. My email address is allsinc@sympatico.ca.

Thanks

• ThatsA5

Posted November 11, 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi

Would appreciate if you could email me those pages with that info. My email address is allsinc@sympatico.ca.

Thanks

Sorry buddy...I missed this. Ill try to get it to you soon.

• technoweenie

Posted November 11, 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hi

I don't need those pages any more. I picked up a service manual for TLR200 and XR200. The manual says they are basically the same engine. I spent last weekend removing the valve cover and the head to get the timing chain out.

Have just ordered new parts and will reassemble soon.

Thanks

• ThatsA5

Posted November 11, 2010 - 02:53 PM

Oh cool....Im glad you didnt wait for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • technoweenie

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well I got the new timing chain in as well as new adjusters. Put the engine back together and into the frame. Fired her up and she runs quiet and smooth.

I now need to lube the cables, drive chain and she should be ready for next season. Mind you I still ride her in the winter until the snow gets deep and that will be it.:thumbsup:

• snowlover

Posted December 12, 2010 - 09:43 AM

What led you to replacing the chain instead of adjusting it? Was it making a ticking noise? My TLR seems to be a little noisier than I would have thought.

Valves checked/adjusted and I did the timing chain tension as instructed in the manual which may have quieted it a little. maybe my chain is bad also. How difficult and expensive was your repair?

• kram3

Posted December 12, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hi guys
Been messing with these old honda motors since they were,er,new.If cam chain wont quiet down with normal procedure,try this...before loosening 14 mm nut on adjuster,remove 10mm headed bolt in center,then find a couple ich long drywall or self tapping screw and put it in the hole yoy took the 10 mm headed screw out of.If you push gently and turn it clockwise,it should self thread itself into the hole in the adjuster enough to grip.now start the engine,and while idling,loosen the 14mm nut,while gently pulling up on the drywall screw.Unless the chain is completly whipped,this should take up the slach that sometimes the weak factory spring wont.While holding light upward pressure on drywall screw,tighten up 14mm nut.Remove drywall screw,replace 10mm headed ctr bolt,done!

• technoweenie

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:53 AM

When I purchased the TLR200 from another person, the engine was noisy than. It seemed as if something inside the engine was rubbing or grinding, but I could not really figure out what it was. I recently was at a trails meet and 2 other guys also have TLR200s. One of them immediately noticed the engine noise and told me the timing chain needed adjustment. He took out a wrench and tried to adjust it by loosening the nut on top of the crankcase, but nothing happened. He told me the chain must be over stretched.

I decided to take the engine head apart and remove the flywheel. Sure enough the chain was stretched and slowly sawing through a center piece of housing. Also the timing chain adjuster was severely worn (its a nylon part that sort of looks like a leaf spring). Anyhow got new parts, timing chain and adjusters, put the engine back together and she now runs quiet and smooth.

• woolsac

Posted December 13, 2010 - 03:04 PM

What led you to replacing the chain instead of adjusting it? Was it making a ticking noise? My TLR seems to be a little noisier than I would have thought.

Valves checked/adjusted and I did the timing chain tension as instructed in the manual which may have quieted it a little. maybe my chain is bad also. How difficult and expensive was your repair?

I am too interested in a response to snowlovers questions. i picked up a tlr with 5k miles on it and thought it was a bit noisy. since i am not the original owner, i have nothing to compare the current noise to. i did the chain tension adjustment as instructed as well and noise is kinda the same.... please help with some insight. thanks!

mark

• technoweenie

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:29 PM

The repair cost me about $150.00 CDN. The parts I ordered was the cam chain guide, cam chain tensioner and the cam chain. You will also need a new head gasket as the head must be removed, but the cylinder can be left on the crankcase (provided the piston and cylinder are in good shape). The alternator cover and rotor must also be removed. I purchased a "Clymer" manual which shows the various engine break downs to do this and I highly recomend purchasing one of these manuals. The manual also covers Honda XL and XR bikes. From what I understand in the manual, the TLR engine is the same as the XR engine.

You may need some additional parts such as "O" rings here and there, depending on what kind of shape they are in after being removed. I also needed an exhaust gasket and intake manifold gasket ( its actually an "O" ring).

After taking everything apart that needed to be, I laid it all out in a unique order so that it could be easily reassembled again. The manual is a great help here as well. The cylinder head gasket had to be removed, so I purchased a small brass wire wheel for my electric hand drill and it worked great in removing the old gasket and also cleaning the carbon on both sides of the head. Its critical to use a "brass" wire wheel as brass will not scratch any of the metal head components, including the piston top.

Hope this info helps you guys, good luck!

• Chuck.

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:44 PM

Cam Chain tension is set by a spring. The tension is then locked by a split collar under the 14mm bolt.

The problem is the split collar often doesn't release when the 14mm bolt is loosened. If the chain doesn't quiet down after loosening the 14mm bolt a few times try using a phillip screw driver or a drift to lightly tap the shaft loose from the split collar (with the 14mm bolt loose). If that doesn't work you can attempt a retension with the engine stopped, you need the engine at TDC with both valves closed, then loosen the 14mm bolt and use the phillips to make sure the split collar has released the shaft, you can feel the spring pushing back on the phillip when you push down. Remove the phillips and tighten the 14mm, it doesn't need much to lock the split collar.

If that doesn't quiet the chain then pull the flywheel and check the chain; the rear axle is the flywheel puller, or a 16mm bolt.

Edited by chuck4788, December 13, 2010 - 05:07 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.