Thoughts on powdercoating engine parts?

9 replies to this topic
  • tpastrana

Posted November 01, 2010 - 06:06 PM

My bike is all torn apart right now, have all the parts for a full rebuild, thinking about painting some stuff I've heard really good things about this site, great customer support too. http://moto-x-coatings.com/ click on bike parts and click on yamaha those cover look sick. Just wondering on durability? Boot Wear? Should I paint the frame? An all candy blue yamaha, cases, covers, black cylinder, Blue valve head with black frame/subframe...:excuseme: It would look sweet no doubt but is it worth it and is it going to last?

• tpastrana

Posted November 05, 2010 - 10:54 AM

Could I paint the valve head or is that a bad idea considering getting powder in the valves?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 05, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Could I paint the valve head or is that a bad idea considering getting powder in the valves?

Huh? You need to do a little research on Powder coating to see what it is.
You can't powdercoat anything that has mixed metals or substances in it. If you can't remove it (valve seats) then you mask it off. If you can't remove it (valve seals) then you can't do it.

• tpastrana

Posted November 05, 2010 - 12:32 PM

so mask off the top and bottom part of the head, and youd be fine?

• KJ790

Posted November 05, 2010 - 12:41 PM

Huh? You need to do a little research on Powder coating to see what it is.
You can't powdercoat anything that has mixed metals or substances in it. If you can't remove it (valve seats) then you mask it off. If you can't remove it (valve seals) then you can't do it.

I think you are thinking anodizing. You can powdercoat any metal or mix of metals. You do have to plug any threaded holes or any places where you don't want powdercoat. It probably isn't the best idea to powdercoat your engine, but it is definitely possible. Powdercoating your clutch cover, ignition cover, and valve cover is fine and is quite common. That is about the only way to get them to hold up very well. The powdercoat will still wear off where your boots rub though over time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 05, 2010 - 08:04 PM

I think you are thinking anodizing. You can powdercoat any metal or mix of metals. You do have to plug any threaded holes or any places where you don't want powdercoat. It probably isn't the best idea to powdercoat your engine, but it is definitely possible. Powdercoating your clutch cover, ignition cover, and valve cover is fine and is quite common. That is about the only way to get them to hold up very well. The powdercoat will still wear off where your boots rub though over time.

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough.

You have to remove anything from the motor part that will be damaged by heat (powdercoating) or chemical electrolysis (anodizing): valve seats, seals, frame bearings, swingarm bushings, etc.

Powder coating is great for steel parts that would normally get painted. Lasts longer, looks thicker.

Anodizing is great for Alloy parts that would normally get no finish.
Colors are very susceptible to fading (at least they used to be), and can look very cheesy goofy.

Both only last as long as they last.

I think bikes look best with raw alloys and powdercoated steel.

• tpastrana

Posted November 05, 2010 - 09:33 PM

Alright thanks for the help guys

• dgcars

Posted November 06, 2010 - 12:34 AM

Try polishing - old fashioned, but still looks good.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:06 PM

My bike is all torn apart right now, have all the parts for a full rebuild, thinking about painting some stuff I've heard really good things about this site, great customer support too. http://moto-x-coatings.com/ click on bike parts and click on yamaha those cover look sick. Just wondering on durability? Boot Wear? Should I paint the frame? An all candy blue yamaha, cases, covers, black cylinder, Blue valve head with black frame/subframe...:p It would look sweet no doubt but is it worth it and is it going to last?

Its a dirt bike. You do know that it will ultimately get ... dirty.... right?

Do the frame if you must spend the money. But nothing else.

Nothing is sexier than a WR that is covered from head to toe in mud. Believe that!

• KJ790

Posted November 08, 2010 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough.

You have to remove anything from the motor part that will be damaged by heat (powdercoating) or chemical electrolysis (anodizing): valve seats, seals, frame bearings, swingarm bushings, etc.

Powder coating is great for steel parts that would normally get painted. Lasts longer, looks thicker.

Anodizing is great for Alloy parts that would normally get no finish.
Colors are very susceptible to fading (at least they used to be), and can look very cheesy goofy.

Both only last as long as they last.

I think bikes look best with raw alloys and powdercoated steel.

With engine parts you wouldn't have to worry about heat so much as getting powder where you don't want it. The engine experiences high temperatures under normal operation. You wouldn't want to get powder on any gasket mating surfaces, inside the head anywhere, or in any holes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.