Wr 450 won't start

6 replies to this topic
  • louisfallows

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi I'm new so Apologies, Topped my 04 wr up with oil from cold and went out for a blast,after about 10 mins it started bogging down like it was running out of fuel so I put it on reserve and carried on.I stopped about 5 mins later to find fuel running out of the overflow onto the ground.and when I went to check my oil it spilled out of the top as soon as I removed my Dipstick.tried starting and it's turning over but won't start.help please

• William1

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:27 PM

You do not fill and check oil on a cold engine. Most likely your are grossly overfilled.

Drain the oil and refill it t according to the manual quantity, not to the dipstick.

You also may have a stuck float or debris in the float needle vavle.

• louisfallows

Posted November 02, 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hi,yes read about the checking of oil when hot but to late.just worried I may have caused some damage.I seem to have compression so hoping a carb clean will get her Goin again,seems a bit of a coincidence that it stopped running 15 mins after I overfilled it with oil though doesnt it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • _Hitman47

Posted November 02, 2010 - 01:17 AM

Are you sure it's the fuel running out of overflow? when you overfill wr with oil the oil is spilling from head breather hose. Head vent is a thick black tube running from top of your engine along your front left frame tube vs. fuel overflow being thin translucent tube routed from your carby to your swingarm. FYI approx oil quantity that goes into wr is about 1.5 liters.

• louisfallows

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:53 AM

Yes was defo fuel ,think it was my float needle stuck as it started up after I gave float bowl a tapping with screwdriver.I've drained excess oil now and it's running fine.

• crooks420

Posted November 02, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Change your oil too!!!!!

i would bet gas overflowed into your engine.... which might explain why oil overflowed too. Smell it, does it smell like gas?

Jesse

• louisfallows

Posted November 03, 2010 - 11:31 AM

Yes it does smell of petrol,oil and filter bought today.thanks a lot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.