CR500 '01 Gearbox Oil Questions

10 replies to this topic
  • AndyMx

Posted October 30, 2010 - 05:27 AM

G'day guys, i recently got myself a Service Honda CR500AF, i have a few questions regarding the gearbox oil.

In the manual its says from memory around the 650ml's, on the crankcase its says 750ml. But after replacing the oil and using the check level screw to see if the oil would come out of the level hole, i had to put at least 800ml of oil in till it would flow from the level check screw.

The bike was on a level surface when i checked the oil. After i got the oil to just starting coming out of the hole i ran the bike for 3 minutes and let it cool down and the oil level was still the same.

Can anyone explain to me why i am having to put so much more oil in compared to what is described in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

• HrcRacing

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:00 AM

Once you know the proper amount for the 500, I would stop using the check bolt and just measure/pour. Much easier than relying on the check bolt and gives some peace of mind "knowing" that you have sufficient oil in it.

Having said that, I have no idea anymore (need to know though) what a 500 holds.

• yota

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have always used what is printed on the engine cases without any problems. I run rotella straight 40 wt. buy it in a 5 gallon bucket.

• jbird710

Posted November 01, 2010 - 02:42 PM

Once you know the proper amount for the 500, I would stop using the check bolt and just measure/pour. Much easier than relying on the check bolt and gives some peace of mind "knowing" that you have sufficient oil in it.

Having said that, I have no idea anymore (need to know though) what a 500 holds.

+1
I know on a new bottle of Bel-Ray Gear saver where the level should be when the case is full. Been doing this for over 20 years and have no idea what the actual amount is. :excuseme:

• HrcRacing

Posted November 01, 2010 - 07:00 PM

G'day guys, i recently got myself a Service Honda CR500AF, i have a few questions regarding the gearbox oil.

In the manual its says from memory around the 650ml's, on the crankcase its says 750ml. But after replacing the oil and using the check level screw to see if the oil would come out of the level hole, i had to put at least 800ml of oil in till it would flow from the level check screw.

The bike was on a level surface when i checked the oil. After i got the oil to just starting coming out of the hole i ran the bike for 3 minutes and let it cool down and the oil level was still the same.

Can anyone explain to me why i am having to put so much more oil in compared to what is described in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Ok Andy, I downloaded a '92-'99 CR500 shop manual PDF and it states 23 U.S. ounces (680cc) "at oil change" and 25 U.S. ounces (750cc) "at disassembly".

So, the "750" on the right cover means the maximum oil capacity if you were to disassemble your engine.

My advice is to get a Ratio Rite and just measure/pour. I never use the check bolt as I like to "know" how much oil is in the engine.

I'll likely use 24 U.S. ounces since it's easier to remember 12 and 12 (my Ratio Rite won't hold 24 ounces) and that's what's marked on it from my 450 days. :excuseme:

Then again, if you run 750cc's like Yota, 1-2 ounces aren't going to hurt anything.

• rasta

Posted November 01, 2010 - 07:53 PM

i run about 780cc in my service honda, i run castrol gtx non syn motor oil

• HrcRacing

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:24 PM

i run about 780cc in my service honda, i run castrol gtx non syn motor oil

So around 26 ounces then. What do you use to measure that out?

• rasta

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:44 PM

use a ratio rite container, you can get them at any motorcycle dealership or order online

• rasta

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:46 PM

as long as you have 75% of the quart of oil 750cc you should be ok, i always go over a little

• HrcRacing

Posted November 01, 2010 - 10:20 PM

use a ratio rite container, you can get them at any motorcycle dealership or order online

Yeah, I got one of those, it just doesn't hold enough for one pour.

as long as you have 75% of the quart of oil 750cc you should be ok, i always go over a little

To be honest, back in the day, we just poured most of a quart in there and said 'Close enough!'. It wasn't until I got older that I became more fussy about this stuff.

• rasta

Posted November 01, 2010 - 11:11 PM

yea as long as your in the safe range at leist 75% of the quart. the cr500 motors are really bullet proof. although my crank went out and cylinder need to be replaced. but bought it messed up. carefull what you get off of ebay

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR 250 cylinder base check for '030 machining by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CR500 Paul Stoffer AF ? by H4L

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

my 2 smoke is really smoking! by dirty_fun

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

PWK carb.....to TPS or not to TPS....that is the question by sandy450

• 15 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.