03 wr450f

5 replies to this topic
  • husky390or

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:51 PM

I found a guy selling an 03 WR450F for $700.00. He say's the bike overheats when idling and that he thinks it's because the radiator is dented. I'm not buying that answer (though I have not seen the bike yet) but am wondering what else could be causing this problem.

Also, are there any other red flags I should be looking for? I read in the FAQ's that the woodruff key needs to be replaced but the link describing what needs to be done is broken. How much work is involved to fix that issue? Is this bike worth pursuing or save an extra 500 and buy a decent 200+ 2 smoker?

Also, this bike's main mission in life is to be a dunes chariot. That's it.

• TracksNTrails

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:07 PM

They will all overheat if they sit still while idling. They have to have air flow over the radiator. They can even overheat when riding really slow in first gear. I learned this the first time I stopped to help a fallen rider right after I bought my new (then) 03 WR450 and didn't shut off my motor.

• TracksNTrails

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:10 PM

One other thing - if the carburetor has been gummed up with old fuel and some of the orifices are clogged, it will idle very lean and cause it to get hot faster than normal. To fix that requires dissassembly and some soaking time in carb cleaner, along with some small wire for poking around.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky390or

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:11 PM

Thanks. I have an 09 YZ450F and it will get hot as well, especially at idle. Does the 03 have fans installed on the radiators?

• miweber929

Posted October 29, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Thanks. I have an 09 YZ450F and it will get hot as well, especially at idle. Does the 03 have fans installed on the radiators?

Nope.

Sounds to me more along the lines of a waterpump issue. Might not be too bad of a fix. If the radiator is in fact very dented, that may be a factor. But it would take a huge hit to really impede flow.

• husky390or

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the bike. Thanks for all of the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.