Aluminum dipstick.......again.

32 replies to this topic
  • davidl9999

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Kinda happy to screw up the threads on the plastic dipstick rather than wreck the case threads... :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:16 PM

The alum dipstick that some of us bought a few years ago from WB450 do not mess up the case threads unless you are challenged and can not screw a bolt into a hole. If this is the case you got bigger issues... The plastic dip sticks are crap and are very very easy to cross thread w/o much effort.

• Moscow Roost

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Just spoke to Pro Moto Billet and they said nothing was in their plans to offer a dipstick for Yamahas. They also said that they have discontinued their Honda versions because of over-seas production. Apparently is it cheaper for the guys over-seas to produce them than it is for PMB to purchase the raw materials. Figures...this sucks.

• Moscow Roost

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Sorry for the tease, JD...

WB450 hooked me up with that a few years ago, unfortunately mine was the last one...It was a friend of his that made them (but only made a couple of them)...I then took it to an anodizer who did the red for free...

Have no idea why companies like Ride, Pro Moto, or any other companies that make the aluminum plugs, etc. don't have these available...Seems like it'd be a pretty easy CNC job...Just not too much demand, and would have to be a pricey little piece, I guess...

Is there any chance of WB450's friend producing a few more? That would be sweet. I'm sure there are enough of us on here that would buy them to make it worth his while.

• Aka.Goose

Posted January 25, 2011 - 10:51 PM

Kinda happy to screw up the threads on the plastic dipstick rather than wreck the case threads... :thumbsup:

Seriously? Come on now, it's only finger tightened and has an o-ring...If that's something you'd strip, you must have ape hands and shouldn't be changing your own oil in the first place...

Is there any chance of WB450's friend producing a few more? That would be sweet. I'm sure there are enough of us on here that would buy them to make it worth his while.

You'd have to check with WB, but my guess would be no...It was never "worth his while" in the first place, just something he did for himself, and we were lucky enough with the timing to get hooked up...

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:01 AM

You'd have to check with WB, but my guess would be no...It was never "worth his while" in the first place, just something he did for himself, and we were lucky enough with the timing to get hooked up...

My son made a small handful of those in shop in high school. I helped him design it and design the process and tooling by which it was made. There's no chance they would be a commercial success; it's too complicated unless it is mostly automated, and I doubt there would be enough demand to support anything like a reasonable price point. Would you pay $80 for one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:14 AM

Would you pay $80 for one?

Not when the stock replacement one is only $5.67 (2S2-1536A-00-00) :thumbsup:

• davidl9999

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Seriously? Come on now, it's only finger tightened and has an o-ring...If that's something you'd strip, you must have ape hands and shouldn't be changing your own oil in the first place...

Let me be more specific.
I have more than one bike. I have a kid. I have adult friends with kids who like to ride and learn about bikes (mostly the kids and some adults) because they don't have their own (yet, but I'm working on it :thumbsup:). I let them learn on the TTR (for now) and help with some things on my bike and the quad. I get questions like "What's a torque wrench?", "Where does the oil go?", "Can you put the gas in the bike, it's really heavy?". :lol: The last thing I need is someone forcing the dipstick and screwing up the case threads. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. That's probably worse (to me) than stripping the oil cover bolt threads on the WR case, but I don't want them to be afraid of working on the bike. I guess having ape hands is my issue, but they're not my ape hands... :ride:

• Aka.Goose

Posted January 26, 2011 - 10:54 AM

David...I didn't mean to bust your balls, it's just that since the plug has nowhere to use a wrench or allen key or anything, it can only be tightened by hand, which would make it almost impossible to torque it down to the point where you'd strip the threads...That fear should be applied to the oil drain bolts, not the dipstick...

Gray, if you had this designed in CAD, wouldn't a good CNC be able to bust these out with little human interaction?

• Ga426owner

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:04 AM

80 bucks...shoot these things should cost 20 bucks max:p

• davidl9999

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:27 AM

David...I didn't mean to bust your balls, it's just that since the plug has nowhere to use a wrench or allen key or anything, it can only be tightened by hand, which would make it almost impossible to torque it down to the point where you'd strip the threads...That fear should be applied to the oil drain bolts, not the dipstick...

Gray, if you had this designed in CAD, wouldn't a good CNC be able to bust these out with little human interaction?

Heheh, no worries. Just trying to back up why I posted that in the first place. :thumbsup:

• Moscow Roost

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:51 AM

My son made a small handful of those in shop in high school. I helped him design it and design the process and tooling by which it was made. There's no chance they would be a commercial success; it's too complicated unless it is mostly automated, and I doubt there would be enough demand to support anything like a reasonable price point. Would you pay $80 for one?

Probably not... but who knows... I've spent more money on less usefull things (as I imagine most of us has). Don't know why I want one so bad...just do. Not worried about breaking the OEM one, I just like the thought of a billet one. I like stuff on my bike that most other people don't have. There is something appealing about being a bit different.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:30 PM

You still need to chuck up the part, and it requires a minimum of two set ups.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.