Aluminum dipstick.......again.

32 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted October 28, 2010 - 05:17 PM

For those of you tired of dealing with the stock plastic dip stick, I’ve got two companies looking at producing an aluminum version.

Pro Moto Billet and Ride Engineering. The price point will be around the $35 - $40 mark.

Give them a call and let them know you are interested. It will help speed along the process.

I need three for my bikes and a few more for friends bikes as well.

Let them know you’re interested!

John

• JDLowrance

Posted October 28, 2010 - 05:18 PM

For those of you tired of dealing with the stock plastic dip stick, I’ve got two companies looking at producing an aluminum version.

Pro Moto Billet and Ride Engineering. The price point will be around the $35 - $40 mark.

Give them a call and let them know you are interested. It will help speed along the process.

John

• SXP

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:04 PM

Apart from the bling factor, what are the pros of the Al DS?

I've had no issues with the stock plastic/metal DS so far.

Edited by SXP, October 29, 2010 - 12:07 AM.

• tribalbc

Posted October 29, 2010 - 05:59 AM

Pro moto told me they were interested 3yrs ago......

• JDLowrance

Posted October 29, 2010 - 07:05 AM

The plastic threads can start cross threading very easily and it's a bitch to get it started with the tight confines of it's location. Don't really care about the bling....ok, maybe a little but you can't really see it where it's located unless you are really looking for it.

Hey Tribal, yeah, of the two, PMB seem less likely to help but the guy I spoke to at Ride Eng. seemed genuinely interested.

John

• BBrown626

Posted October 29, 2010 - 11:22 PM

Why would you use the dipstick? I know how much oil I put in my bike and I change it every 5 or 6 hours. It is all still in there and I feel no need to check a dipstick.

• tribalbc

Posted October 30, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hey Tribal, yeah, of the two, PMB seem less likely to help but the guy I spoke to at Ride Eng. seemed genuinely interested.

John

Well I'll give the guys at Ride Eng another vote for producing these then :excuseme:

Amazing how 10 companies can make them for Honda's, but not one Yamaha :smirk:

• JDLowrance

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:43 AM

Amazing how 10 companies can make them for Honda's, but not one Yamaha :smirk:[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it!

Give Ride Engineering a call...let them know we are tired of being discriminated against!! :excuseme:

• JDLowrance

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Why would you use the dipstick? I know how much oil I put in my bike and I change it every 5 or 6 hours. It is all still in there and I feel no need to check a dipstick.

You need to remove it to get the oil tank to drain properly! You then have to screw it back in!

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 31, 2010 - 12:30 PM

Jealous? Hehehe
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Dude, where did you get that dip stick??? I want ....nay, need 3 of them right now!

John

• gscx

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:20 PM

40 for that crap? No wonder MX is getting so expensive. People will buy anything these days

• WB450

Posted November 01, 2010 - 07:37 AM

Jealous? Hehehe
Posted Image
Posted Image

Only because yours is red.

Posted Image

• JDLowrance

Posted November 01, 2010 - 12:53 PM

Come on guys, where did you get those dipsticks?!?!?!?!?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:09 PM

I use a short bolt (no longer than the dipstick threads) and keep the stick in my toolbox. I have an extra in my trail pack.

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Come on guys, where did you get those dipsticks?!?!?!?!?

Sorry for the tease, JD...

WB450 hooked me up with that a few years ago, unfortunately mine was the last one...It was a friend of his that made them (but only made a couple of them)...I then took it to an anodizer who did the red for free...

Have no idea why companies like Ride, Pro Moto, or any other companies that make the aluminum plugs, etc. don't have these available...Seems like it'd be a pretty easy CNC job...Just not too much demand, and would have to be a pricey little piece, I guess...

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:43 PM

Having assisted in making a small number of these and in the tooling/setup of them (my son did them in metal shop), they aren't as simple a piece to run off ans the typical $40 oil plug is. I can see WC or someone charging $70 or so for them, and probably don't see any market support at that price.

• BBrown626

Posted November 02, 2010 - 07:37 PM

I use a short bolt (no longer than the dipstick threads) and keep the stick in my toolbox. I have an extra in my trail pack.

:excuseme: As a dipstick it is useless.

• JDLowrance

Posted November 03, 2010 - 02:08 PM

Well, unfortunately due to the economy, Ride Engineering has declined to manufacture a batch of dipsticks for the YZ/WR.

Bummer.

Still no word from PMB.

Anyone know of a machinist that'd be willing to giive it a go?

• Moscow Roost

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:05 PM

John

Thanks for the tip. I'll give PMB a shout tomorrow. My dipstick is a pain to get threaded and I've wondered why an aluminum version hadn't already been made.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.