Another stock or aftermarket clutch for 99 yz400f?

23 replies to this topic
  • MaxAZ

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:19 AM

I went ahead and searched that site for my bike and it shows that there are no parts available for my bike. Probably to old. Anyhow, I'm still waiting to get my clutch from ThumperTalk and it looks like I won't be riding over Thanksgiving. I ordered the parts on the 4th of November and they finally shipped on the 14th. UPS tracking number shows they were delivered on the 19th which was last Friday but I haven't seen anything at my door. I was in Vegas at the Endurocross finals but my wife was home and she said that she never saw the UPS truck all day. Anyhow, I've emailed ThummperTalk yesterday to try and get it resolved but I'm afraid that at best they'll simply have to re-ship the parts since it's apparent that UPS lost it somewhere. The problem with that is it will probably take another 2 weeks! I hadn't planned on being down this long and even if the package hadn't been lost I think over 2 weeks for delivery is to long. I'm not sure if I'll be using the Thumper store anymore.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:12 AM

It sounds like your contact should be UPS if they show a delivery and you don't have it. Call them. For clutch parts on a 12 year old discontinued dirt bike, you'd be waiting 2 weeks if you went to the biggest Yamaha dealer in Los Angeles, I'm afraid.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxAZ

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:05 AM

It sounds like your contact should be UPS if they show a delivery and you don't have it. Call them. For clutch parts on a 12 year old discontinued dirt bike, you'd be waiting 2 weeks if you went to the biggest Yamaha dealer in Los Angeles, I'm afraid.

I contacted Thumper Store since they had a link to send an email if you had an undelivered package and I figured they could resolve it with UPS faster than I could. You're probably right on waiting 2 weeks for OEM parts on my bike but I can usually get other parts for it direct from the local dealer in less than a week.
Anyhow, the Thumper Store sent me an email this morning which was pretty darn quick considering I only contacted them at 4:45pm MST yesterday and informed me that my order was shipped USPS, not UPS. I guess I've got to pay more attention but I went to my post box and found my clutch sitting in a side box so now I've got some work to do. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll get them soaking in Amsoil so I can install it Thursday or Friday.
Thanks for the help, I'll post up how the clutch feels when I get out to the desert.

• MaxAZ

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:49 AM

I finally got to test this clutch out and it definitely hooks up better than what I've been used to. I never did get it adjusted the way I like though and had to put up with it engaging way earlier than I like. I use a Magura hydraulic clutch actuator and when I had been using the Tusk clutch plates before I installed a extra spacer down at the clutch linkage to make it work right. I think now that I'm back to a stock clutch again I'll need to cut that spacer in half or remove it altogether. Anyhow, I'll try that out on the next ride.
Max

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.