WR lighting coil rewind?

3 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted July 06, 2003 - 11:08 AM

I just read an article about stator rewinding (on a XR650R) that fixed the dimming headlight at idle issue. With the addition of the battery to the WR450, I would have hoped Yamaha would have fixed this issue. At any rate, have any of you had your WR coil rewound for increased output?

What are some good sources I could contact for more information?

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 06, 2003 - 11:25 AM

I know the folks who do the dual sport kits (Baja Designs for one) do this for under $100. One thing to consider is the amount of wattage one would want. The stator is totaly enclosed, so output has a maximim before the heat will destroy itself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted July 06, 2003 - 05:46 PM

I was looking at increasing the output to around 200watts so I can get an extra light on it for dune riding and I want to keep the light from dimming at lower RPM.

Does anyone know if the WR stator itself is fully wound on a few posts or if all the posts are partially wound? I would hope that of all the guys that have had the woodruff key issues that atleast one of them would remember this small detail. :)

Thanks guys!

• kev426

Posted July 06, 2003 - 07:26 PM

On my 01 wr426 all post are wound. If i remember correctly baja designs will not rewind wr stators because they could not get much more output than stock. But i could be wrong. You could try http://www.elineacce...icalyamaha.html but it is alot of $$$$ good luck

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.