stock 2010 450 can

5 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted October 27, 2010 - 04:54 PM

Is the muffler on the 2010 the same as the older ones with the inverted cones and such inside?

Curious to know if this silencer can be modded out to deliver better performance?

I dicked around with my yz250 stock 2005 can, shortened it up a bit and it made a nice difference on top.
Not looking to make mine any shorter, but if there are a series of idiotic baffles inside I'd like to remove them.

thanks

• aedwards07

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Nope its back to a normal style muffler..

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:41 PM

The length of the silencer one way or other will have very little effect on performance. In the case of the '10 model, Dave at MRD has stated that the biggest problem with it is that there is a sudden reduction in diameter at the end, which he believes is an attempt to reduce noise. The core diameter may need to be different than stock, too, but the header itself is fine.

Either way, shortening the can won't really help do anything but increase the sound output. Fixing the step at the end of the muffler probably will.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted October 28, 2010 - 12:38 PM

I chopped mine up, about 2 inches off the rear and spread the end of the core out and it did help the top end out a little. Not as much as a slip on or a full exhaust would do, but it helped a little.

• brentn

Posted October 28, 2010 - 01:01 PM

If the end of the silencer is tapered, then I'm not even going to bother shortening it. That was never the plan anyways but if it did have baffles then I was prepared to go to work.

How did you ream out the end cap and core?
Makes you wonder if you could shorten it, or just buy a new end cap and some how flare out the core with an exhaust pipe expander tool etc.
For someone with the tools and no money and the time, this would be a good little project.

• BBrown626

Posted October 29, 2010 - 11:27 PM

I have some experience with a device called a tube roller. It is a couple small cylinders held in a frame and they are very close to parallel, but slightly tapered. You put them in a drill and apply pressure. The rolling motion combined with the taper spreads the metal out, enlarging the hole. I have considered trying a tube roller on my muffler. The only difference I can see between the stock pipe and an aftermarket pipe is the restriction in the end cap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.