general maintance 07450

7 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted October 27, 2010 - 04:22 PM

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:26 PM

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

IMHO;
- re-grease everything: steering head, linkages, swingarm, hubs
- change fork and shock oil
- check spokes, rim runout
- check bolt tightness, being carefull not to use a over-sized torque wrench
- adjust valves (done)

• SXP

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:17 PM

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

• YamaLink

Posted October 28, 2010 - 07:51 AM

Maybe replace the throttle and clutch cable or give them a good lubing and cleaning of the throttle tube/handlebar area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 28, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

• SXP

Posted October 28, 2010 - 02:13 PM

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:41 PM

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

Yup! The only thing I do to my chain is keep it in spec per the manual and clean the chain with WD after a wash and then oil it before a ride!

• KennyMc

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:12 AM

I've replaced my sprockets with an Ironman set. My front sprocket went before the back but I replaced both at the same time. Don't know how many hours/miles. Doesn't really matter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.