Breathing dust?

9 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted July 06, 2003 - 04:24 AM

We're in our dry season (for a few weeks now) and it is VERY dusty! After a long ride, I find myself hacking up dust balls/boogers (ok, that was gross :)) for three days afterward. Is there a way to keep from breathing in all that dust? I tried a paintmask (from Home Depot) but it just didn't breath enough. What do you guys use, if anything?

• FTD

Posted July 06, 2003 - 04:36 AM

It is drier than a popcorn fart around here. Here is my dust inhalation fixer. Wait for everyone to take off and the dust to clear... haul a$%. I HATE dust and have ended up in some percarious positions due to visibility in dust and refuse to put myself in that position. I am either first... or sweep. Two of my buddies who ride together all the time swap leading and one rides say 15' behind the other right before dust billow. They trust each other and know their riding style so they are comfortable with it. I tried this and it drove me BONKERS.
Hoss

• PMAUST

Posted July 06, 2003 - 05:46 AM

Yep, what Hoss said. Expresses my sentiment exactly. :)

• BlueThunder

Posted July 06, 2003 - 06:10 AM

Only way to fly is to purchase a fighter pilot helmet and oxygen mask and carry an O2 tank and.......just kidding. Stay in front or leave enough room between riders like the boys suggest....that James Bond "smoke screen" your following can be hazardous to your health in more ways than one :).

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 06, 2003 - 08:00 AM

if theres a little breeze ride onthe side of the trail where the wind is blowing the dust away or i just burn past them and start leading... but use folded hankerchiefs and tie them around your neck they work decently in keeping the dirt out of your nose and mouth

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted July 06, 2003 - 08:07 AM

My solution for dust is to ride with slow people or kids, they allways let you lead.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 07, 2003 - 03:44 AM

but use folded hankerchiefs and tie them around your neck they work decently in keeping the dirt out of your nose and mouth

This is what I was going to say, except douche the hankerchief in water before tying it on. :)

• Bryan

Posted July 07, 2003 - 12:57 PM

I complained about eating dust recently and was told to shut up and ride faster so I would be in the lead.

Harsh advice eh?
:)
Bryan in Denver...

• Scuba_Steve

Posted July 08, 2003 - 07:40 PM

I earned the nickname "Scuba Steve" for one reason - I always ride wearing a thing called a headsock. The first time I rode in Glamis I bought one of these things from a vendor. It's basically a hood that covers your entire head, except it has a cutout for your eyes. I think it's made out of Spandex or some other stretchy material, and most folks wear them for riding in dune buggies to keep from eating sand, but I wear it to keep from eating and breathing dust. Every time I go to Glamis I pick up a few more... it looks pretty funny to wear it before the helmet goes on, and most folks refer to it as a head condom, but it really works to keep the dirt out. However, I haven't seen them for sale anywhere but the desert. I guess it's officially called a balaclava.

• ddialogue

Posted July 09, 2003 - 03:21 AM

I complained about eating dust recently and was told to shut up and ride faster so I would be in the lead.

Harsh advice eh?

Harsh? Na... The fact is, I'm faster than most of the guys I ride with so leading isn't a problem. I just don't think it's fair that my riding buddies should eat my dust all the time and I regularly try to take my turn at the back of the pack, in the dust.

The responses have been interesting though... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.