WR450 Vs. YZ450F?

26 replies to this topic
  • rholbrook

Posted October 28, 2010 - 09:04 AM

I think my OP might have been misleading

I'm not 300 lbs ... the WR250R is. I'm about 170 :excuseme:

Man am I ever sorry. Maybe I'm the only fata$$

Come to Utah or meet me in S. Utah for a great ride and my WR will convince you to get one.

• granite4brains

Posted October 28, 2010 - 01:51 PM

no worries :smirk: :excuseme:

• erickdj

Posted October 28, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Owning both an 07 wr450 and an 08 yz450 I can chime in and give you my $0.2 Go for the yz! You want a bike that is as far away from your wr250r dual-sport as possible. While the wr450f is a completely different animal compared to your wr250r, it is still on the heavy side and will require some mods to bring it up to "race" level, while the yz450 pretty much only needs gas in the tank and is ready to rip out of the box. All of the "pros" of a wrf you already have on your wrr, so the much lighter weight of the yz, the handling, the awesome suspension, and the POWER, will really put a smile on your face. At 170lbs you wouldn't even need to get the yz suspension done, while the wrf's suspension is pretty much mandatory to fix at any rider weight, it just sucks that bad. Riding in the tight slow areas does require a bit of finesse with the yz, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a couple extra teeth on the rear sprocket, an 06 yz ignition, and a quick finger on the clutch lever. Truth be told, whenever I ride my yz I don't miss the WRF, don't miss the light(I ride during the day), e-start, gearing, etc... The yz is different but very capable on the trails, remember, it's mostly about the rider not the bike. with that said, if I could only have one bike, it would be the yz(if I could ride it year round in california, which was the reason I bought the wr in the first place).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave102429

Posted November 02, 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hey granite4brains, let's meet up in Lone Pine Saturday night and talk about bikes. I'm racing a YZ426F in D37. It's a good desert bike. A flywheel weight tamed the power a bit and helps prevent stalling, though a Rekluse clutch would've been ideal. I wish I had electric start. There's nothing worse than stalling in the rocks and trying to kickstart your bike, now out of breath, with 10 guys on your rear fender yelling "Get out of the way!!!!" Desert racing is tiring. The smoother the bike, the longer your energy lasts. I saw a guy racing a WR450 with all the WR equipment stripped off. Looked like a YZ450 but with electric start, wide ratio transmission, and softer power delivery. It was a sweet ride.

If you consider a KTM, there's pros and cons. 2007 was the last year for the RFS motor, which was a great motor. The new 2008 motor suffered from some leaky seals. But the 2008 chassis handles great!

I'm tempted to find a 2006-up YZ250. Two strokes weigh a lot less and are A LOT cheaper to maintain (see what the other guy said about top end rebuilds).

See you on the trail.

Dave

• granite4brains

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:47 AM

That sounds great Dave! So much info and a lot I don't know yet , so any and all help is much appreciated.

Seemed much simpler back in the 2-stroke motocross days - all these 4 strokes weren't even an option then

Should be a good ride this weekend. See you then!

• jayh300

Posted November 02, 2010 - 12:13 PM

That sounds great Dave! So much info and a lot I don't know yet , so any and all help is much appreciated.

Seemed much simpler back in the 2-stroke motocross days - all these 4 strokes weren't even an option then

Should be a good ride this weekend. See you then!

hey granite... cool avatar...

kinda had this same delima not too long ago...for me and my riding style, the wr was the way to go.. the estart is so cool...
but... i also kept my 300 gas gas 2 smoke and most riding days, i take both..
you can tell what the ride will be by who is going and know which weapon to take out...:excuseme:

• granite4brains

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Jhendr. I'm leaning towards the WR450 too. Seems like a good fit. Plus I like to do some big loops in the desert that require being able to easily gas up at a station or two - that sorta shoots down the 2-stroke me. And, the YZ450 .. well, I don't think I have the cajones to do anything special on the MX track anymore, so that one might be overkill!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.