WR450 Vs. YZ450F?

26 replies to this topic
  • granite4brains

Posted October 26, 2010 - 03:16 PM

I'm looking for a powerful, light-weight, good performing dirtbike to supplement with my curent (300 lb!!) WR250R dual sport.

I won't be doing much MX, but want to hit technical single track, hill climbs, and also looking to get into doing some enduros and desert racing with a buddy of mine who keeps bugging me.

Which bike would most ppl recommend: the WR450 or the YZ450?

The obvious advantages of the YZ to me is lighter weight.

The obvious advantages of the WR seeme to be a light, and possibly better mpg.

But, I know there is more to it than that, so any feedback would be appreciated!!

I'm also considering a KTM, so if you think that is better than either Yamaha option, let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
g4b

• rcmx67

Posted October 26, 2010 - 06:20 PM

read the dirt rider 450 enduro shootout

• granite4brains

Posted October 26, 2010 - 06:51 PM

you got an online link to that?

I'm not finding one that includes the YZ

• Lankyrider

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:13 PM

I have owned both bikes and they are both perfect. The YZ is lighter and more powerfull, as you already know. The WR is a woods machine, more user friendly power,softer suspension, lights and of course the magic button. From what you write i think the WR is best for the kind of riding that you do.

• mongial

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:16 PM

At 300 lbs. both will suspension work. I own an 09 WR 450 and love it. Ride mostly woods with occasional desert. The only YZ 450 I have rode was an 06 in the desert and I have to say that the bike was nothing short of amazing blitzing whoops. Funny thing is, the owner of the YZ (who races A class) won't ride the YZ in the woods. Instead he has a 96ish XR 250 "The Couch" that he takes. He claims that he fights the YZ to much when it gets tight. Not sure that this helps, either is a great bike, I would say which can you get cheaper!

• YamaLink

Posted October 27, 2010 - 06:34 AM

Which KTM were you looking at?

• granite4brains

Posted October 27, 2010 - 08:09 AM

I was looking at either the KTM 450/530, leaning towards the 530.

But, my favorite so far, is the Yamaha WR450! That's more than likely what I will go with in the end.

But, since I have to fork out a couple 1000 on household repairs now, I will have some more time to think about it :excuseme:

• Bandit9

Posted October 27, 2010 - 11:32 AM

A 2 stroke still is the best option for what you intend to do with it.

• Bushdog

Posted October 27, 2010 - 02:18 PM

i dont see how a 2st is a better option for what he wants... and dont bother reading the 450 enduro shootout - becasue everybike is good when it is NEW. get the WR450. it will have slightly less power than a YZ, but you can always mod it - i doubt extremely much that it will be underpowered for you. also here are the advantages of the WR over the KTM and the YZ
- Oil change every 1000km - YZ would be every ride, not sure about the KTM
- rebuild approx every 12000km - the new KTM are every 2000 and a YZ wouldnt be far behind.
I would be caucious of the KTM 530. they are a massive bike for just trail riding. the 450 will be plenty. remember KTM now make a 400 because 90% of riders couldnt handle the 450!
- the WR is the most reliable enduro on the market by far!

• Bandit9

Posted October 27, 2010 - 02:49 PM

He said, " I'm looking for a powerful, light-weight, good performing dirtbike to supplement with my curent (300 lb!!) WR250R dual sport. I won't be doing much MX, but want to hit technical single track, hill climbs, and also looking to get into doing some enduros and desert racing with a buddy of mine who keeps bugging me."

He doesn't need a Dual Sport. He has one. A new leftover 2 stroke will be half the cost of a 450, doesn't need oil changes, it's way lighter, it's more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and it's way better on technical single track and perfect for racing enduros or desert. He is only going to shave 30lbs from his DS bike with a woods 450.

I don't see how you can't see that. I also don't see how you say that with such a condescending tone. I have a WR450 and it's a great bike for what I do with it. However, I have it just for the ability to ride some fire roads if I need to on our rides, plus it makes a better exploring bike. If I didn't need the plate or I started racing again, and I bought a second bike, I would have a 2 stroke. It's not even something I would have to contemplate.

Out of the two choices he thinks he wants, the WR hands down. The YZF he would end up selling in 6 months after he loses a few grand in the process.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted October 27, 2010 - 02:59 PM

Also, you are wrong on the KTM 400. They have been making 400's a lot longer than the 450. Has nothing to do with people not being able to handle them. The 530 also isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. It's pretty good on the trail in the hands of an experienced rider. Your rebuild numbers are not realistic either. I know guys who have bikes with 20,000 miles on them and have never needed to rebuild. You might need a rebuild in 5,000 miles or never. You never know. Actually, most of what you said in your post isn't accurate and seems to be speculation type stuff that has been read in magazines and internet forums.

• granite4brains

Posted October 27, 2010 - 06:40 PM

hey guys, appreciate both your input.

I actually thought about a 2 stroke, but shot it down for a totally unrelated reason. where I live there is tons of open desert and its easy to put together loops hundreds of miles long right out of your garage, but you need to be able to stop at a gas station and just fill up ;-)

I am still a bit bummed about it being only 30 lbs less, one reason the YZ450F sounded appealing .. 55 lbs less.

But, also wanted to ask ... what's a rebuild entail?

• rholbrook

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:07 PM

I was asking the same question a few years ago as you are now. Here is what I decided on and why.

Differences:
YZ lighter = PRO
YZ better on the track = PRO
YZ Lighter flywheel = CON on the trails and tight stuff PRO on the track
WR has lights = PRO
WR can make street legal = PRO
WR 5th gear = PRO
WR quieter = PRO
WR Electric Start = PRO
WR heavier = CON
WR heavier flywheel = PRO in the trails CON on the track

Essentially, this is what I came up with. I am too old and heavy to ride the tracks now but I can still rip on the trails. What I decided to get was the WR. I then did all the usual mods like the throttle stop, airbox, gray wire, etc. I also bought a larger pipe insert, RevLock Clutch and then the YZ Exhaust Cam. WOW, I love this bike. It flat rips, is it as quick as a YZ? No, but it is much quicker than a stock WR with all the simple mods. It is a great trail bike with the RevLok. If I had to do it all over again, I would make the same choice.

If you want to be 55 lbs lighter, lose weight, thats what my wife tells me. I tell her I need something because its lighter, she tells me to lose the weight off of myself first. I don't want to sound rude or insensitive because I am in the same boat as you. I could stand to lose some weight.

• Bandit9

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:32 PM

Rebuild on a 2 stroke is nothing. Cost maybe $150 and anyone who can read and can loosen and tighten bolts can do it in less than 2 hrs. I'm experienced and I won't even attempt to rebuild a modern 4 stroke motor. I think just the parts cost me close to $600. I got a few estimates and it would been quite a bit just for a top end. I've had heard of several $2k and above rebuilds. However, that seems to be very rare on a WR.

If you bought a WR450, I think you would be happy. If you bought a 2 stroke for your "serious" rides, I think you would be happier with the performance. However you mentioned doing "long" rides, and that is why I'm on the WR. More comfy over a long period, but at a sacrifice in performance on the technical singletrack. There is no perfect bike. You will always be giving up something to gain something. That is why I advocate having two bikes. A WR450 type with a plate for adventure exploring type fun rides with your buddies, and a 2 stroke for serious stuff like racing or tackling real technical trail.

As you can tell, the YZF and other MX450's are completey out of the question for me, and the majority of amateurs. Top level guys can make it work racing offroad, Mullins just won the National Enduro on a YZF, Whibs win's GNCC/OMA races on it, but they are not us. Doing 100-150 mile rides for fun on it, will not be fun. It's made for one thing only. Racing on an MX track. It wants to go fast all the time, cruising trails is not what it does.

• rcmx67

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I have a YZ 250 2 stroke, a WR 450 and get to ride a KTM 520 often (same as 525 and 530) The WR and the KTM are the same weight and the bigger piston on the KTM just makes it a little more luggable. The power on the KTM 520 is actually softer than my 08 WR 450. The WR hits harder on the bottom. Both are great bikes and require the least maintenance of all the 4 strokes.

The YZ 250 is super light and a good all around bike. It has the same HP as the 08 WR450. Both are around 46.

The WR and KTM are heavy. But, the e start is fun. The WR suprisingly turns better than the YZ250 2t.

Anyways, it's a tough decision. They are all good bikes. Determine what your primary purpose is and choose based on that. If all I was doing was riding woods I would have a KTM 300 or YZ 250. But...the thumper is fun in the wide open and for nastly long hill climbs.

• Bushdog

Posted October 27, 2010 - 11:02 PM

you make a valid point, didnt meant to sound condecending champ! i just dont really agree, my last bike was a KDX, but the WR is something else.
- doesnt need oil changes - still needs gear oil and premix
- way lighter - yeah, but the rider is 300lbs
- more reliable - doubt it, what goes wrong with a WR?
- cheaper to maintain - not really, 2t- rings, oil, spark plugs, oiled up exhaust etc etc. what do you have to do to a wr, check the valves every 5000km, they havnt moved so ride on.
- sure the 2t might be better in the tighter stuff but i just feel the WR will not wear you out so much. its just an easier bike to ride fast. i undertand the weight factor wearing you out, but what about the engine, the WR is so user friendly compared to a YZ. the YZ is like a crazy mountain bike and the WR like riding a slightly bigger mountain bike but feels like your in a limo
- the majority of enduro riders are on 4t and so are motocross - Honda doesnt even make 2t anymore.

it is a preference thing and I rode 2t for years, but i wont be going back.

• Bushdog

Posted October 27, 2010 - 11:20 PM

and by the way. pretty sure KTM stoped making the 400 for about 10 year (in aus anyway) and have only gone back to it in the last 2 year. when i said KTM rebuild every 2000km that was from a KTM dealer and the Oil changes are stated in the workshop Manual!

• granite4brains

Posted October 28, 2010 - 04:18 AM

- way lighter - yeah, but the rider is 300lbs

I think my OP might have been misleading

I'm not 300 lbs ... the WR250R is. I'm about 170 :excuseme:

• granite4brains

Posted October 28, 2010 - 04:22 AM

Rebuild on a 2 stroke is nothing. Cost maybe $150 and anyone who can read and can loosen and tighten bolts can do it in less than 2 hrs. I'm experienced and I won't even attempt to rebuild a modern 4 stroke motor. I think just the parts cost me close to $600. I got a few estimates and it would been quite a bit just for a top end. I've had heard of several $2k and above rebuilds. However, that seems to be very rare on a WR.

I just recently got into riding again after maybe about 10 years or more, so I may have forgotten, but I don't remember ever doing a rebuild when I used to be into MX - had a YZ125 and a YZ250.

What exactly is a rebuild? Maybe I called it something else?

How often would a WR need one as well? Sounds pricey?

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:23 AM

Here's my take on the question of WRF vs. YZF:

http://www.thumperta...235#post8107235

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.