2002 wr426f spring rates

3 replies to this topic
  • foggy3061

Posted October 25, 2010 - 01:36 AM

I have a UK spec 2002 WR 426 F and need to set up the suspension for my weight.

It has front forks from a 2007 WR 450 F fitted to it, other than that all the suspension is standard.

I was wondering which spring rates I should pick for my weight, 242 lbs / 110 kg with gear on, as the manual suggests for this weight I should be using the firm spring range.

Current spring rates:
Standard front fork spring rate 4.5 N/MM
Standard rear shock spring rate 5.0 N/MM

The riding where I live is mainly rocky going and doesn’t really reach high speeds but I can feel already that it’s too soft for my weight!

Any help / advise will be much appreciated!

• GCannon

Posted October 25, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Try this racetech spring rate calculator:
http://old.racetech....ork&bikeid=1696

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted October 26, 2010 - 06:09 AM

The RaceTech site calculates spring rate with rider weight and no gear.

You stated 245 with gear so let's say your weight minus gear is 220 (do you wear a backpack, water, carry tools?).

220 pounds calls for 0.504 and 5.48 (or closest available)

245 calls for 0.522 kg/mm and 5.68 kg/mm (use closest available)

Right now you have WAAAAAY too much sag. The bike is understeering, bottoming violently and is harsh on the smaller bumps because you're too far into the progression of the shock.

• foggy3061

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the pointers folks, that should help pick a suitable spring rate!

Right now you have WAAAAAY too much sag. The bike is understeering, bottoming violently and is harsh on the smaller bumps because you're too far into the progression of the shock.

Pretty much, yeah! My thought was to get my spring rates something like for my weight first, then get the forks and shock serviced and see where that gets me!:excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.