excessive plastic hoses on wr

6 replies to this topic
  • gggsxr11

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:31 PM

i am the old school rider and just got a wr 400 and am fixing up all the little plastic hoses around the carby,why do we need all these little hoses,i know the carby needs to breathe but wow how many pipes does one carby need.the old bikes only had about two and those carbys seem to work fine??/

• William1

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:37 PM

The carb needs them all.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:39 PM

...because this bike shits all over old bikes.

It's a pumper carb, and it's a larger 4 stroke than was made in the past. Kicking over that big of a 4 stroke is tough, so it needs a "hot start" set of hoses to lean the mixture out at first, and then it's got a bunch for the accelerator pump, which squirts fuel into the carb when the throttle is opened abruptly, giving it quicker take off.

Modern carbs are a bit simple, and this one is a bit excessive by those standards, but any modern carb will have more hoses than the cheesedick 4 strokes of the past.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gggsxr11

Posted October 24, 2010 - 11:38 PM

back in 1975 four strokes were common and yamaha made them they were tt500 bigger than this 400 and then in 1982 honda had xr 600,i had both of these bikes,they were hard to start,many an injury was had from the newcomers trying to start those beasts.
thanks for the explanation now i understand the theory a bit better.don't get me wrong these 400"s go a lot better than the old school bikes that were bigger capacity and i am glad for it.also the old bikes engines took less maintenance and lasted longer so a compromise has been made,high performance shorter life,really these are just race engines.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 25, 2010 - 08:30 AM

back in 1975 four strokes were common and yamaha made them they were tt500 bigger than this 400 and then in 1982 honda had xr 600,i had both of these bikes,they were hard to start,many an injury was had from the newcomers trying to start those beasts.

True... and I did in all honesty forget about those. Still though, aren't those low compression motors in comparison to this?

thanks for the explanation now i understand the theory a bit better.don't get me wrong these 400"s go a lot better than the old school bikes that were bigger capacity and i am glad for it.also the old bikes engines took less maintenance and lasted longer so a compromise has been made,high performance shorter life,really these are just race engines.

Yeah, the maintenance is much more on this than the XR series stuff (like the 600 you mentioned).

• gggsxr11

Posted October 27, 2010 - 12:17 AM

yes the compression was only about 9 to 1 where as these new bikes are running about 12 to1 i think.

• byggd

Posted October 27, 2010 - 03:55 AM

yes the compression was only about 9 to 1 where as these new bikes are running about 12 to1 i think.

Even 12.5 to 1 on some :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.