03/YZ450 Jetting for 110 octane.

3 replies to this topic
  • chimpYZ450

Posted July 04, 2003 - 10:55 AM

I'm using 110 octane.
I've noticed some chop at full-throttle and a little backfire during deceleration.
The plug looks clean and dry, whitish brown.
Jetting = all stock, main jet 165, jet needle clip pos 4, pilot air 1 1/2 turns.
Does the backfire indicate rich or lean?
Any suggestions?

• dominator426

Posted July 04, 2003 - 11:04 PM

Sounds like you're a bit lean. Have you done any mods to increase the airfow; removing airbox lid and exhaust restrictor? What's your elevation?
You're overkill on the octane and will get no benefit from it. It burns slower which may cause deceleration backfiring, besides being lean on pilot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teallen3

Posted July 06, 2003 - 11:33 AM

I have an 03 WR250 and I run 110 octane as well and experience the same problems. Everything else is great. My plug looks brand new all the time.

• chimpYZ450

Posted July 07, 2003 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

My dealer reccommended race gas for cleanliness, 110 is the only race gas I can find around here.
I installed a 170 main jet and dropped the needle jet clip down to position #5.
The popping and the back-fire is gone. She runs like a raped ape. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.