How do you guys do it in the MUD???

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 26, 2001 - 07:40 AM

I decided that I've been officially babied my entire riding career which is going on 16 years now. I've grown up riding the deserts of So.Cal. and am not an experienced rider in the mud. I like to think I can climb any dry hill and tear up any dry track but I can count the number of rides in the mud on the fingers of one hand. This weekend I went to a track in Hemet California which I can normally fly around and clear everything. (even the triple) The difference is it was raining and has been raining for the past week. The track was decent but I had no confidence and could barely do anything. I kept having visions of going over the bars from just spinning the tire off the face of a jump or flying through the air sideways and out of control. To top it of Ryan Hughs was there just flying around the track like it was dry. So how do you guys go fast in the mud? What are the tricks for an expierenced rider with NO mud experience? (Did that make sense?) I even had a brand new knobby and I still felt out of control.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

[This message has been edited by sirhk100 (edited 02-26-2001).]

• MikeOK

Posted February 26, 2001 - 08:32 AM

sirhk- let me know when you find out lol. I started racing last spring at 37 years old and it's quite a humbling experience to come in last place in the mud. I can hang with the main pack on a dry day but it seems like magic how fast some guys can go in the mud. I think it's some kind of voo-doo, every time I gas my bike in the mud I feel like I'm going down...

• dirtdad

Posted February 26, 2001 - 10:33 PM

The most fun I've ever had riding is every time I've ridden in mud. Everyone can give you all the advice they have on riding in mud; but, the bottom line is no advice can beat experience. You have to ride mud to get good at riding mud. My two scents.

• finglan

Posted February 26, 2001 - 10:44 PM

My father was a mudder

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 26, 2001 - 11:15 AM

Balance and momentum are large parts of riding in the mud or any condition where optimum traction isn't available. But DirtDad is right experience is very important. I assume that you remember also that you have to make adjustments to your suspension to adjust for the different conditions. If you really want experience in the mud come on out east and you will have all you can handle and probably more. LOL We got about 4 inches of rain in the last week. I think that I need to put floatation devices and a prop on the YZ to go riding. LOL

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 26, 2001 - 11:28 AM

Dad,
Yeah I'm assuming mud is like anything else where Experience is what counts the most. It's just that living in San Diego we only get so much rain/mud to practice in.
Scott,
4"s in a week, if we got that this city would be at a stand still!! Where I went to college it rained a lot unfortunately I didn't have my bike in fact when I was home I was riding a old piece a junk because of that poor college kid thing but it was better then nothing. What do you do different for suspension in the mud on a track and during trail riding? I would expect the setting would be different for the extremely different condidtions as well as different kind of muds.
It's definatley eye opening going from one of the faster riders on the track to the slowest in 1 week. I swear Ryan Hughs didn't let off at all and was making it look as though he was on a concrete track!!
Khris

[This message has been edited by sirhk100 (edited 02-26-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted February 26, 2001 - 01:25 PM

I have found that mud riding is a combination of what everybody else has said. I have found that (at least for me) keeping my goggles clean and my gloves/grips from getting wet and covered in mud are important. Once I can't see where I'm going or can't hold onto the bars anymore--I'm done!! Roll-offs and hand guards help but don't totally solve the problems.
yzernie

• mcarp

Posted February 26, 2001 - 03:31 PM

I ride muddy trails, but not much mudMX. Steer with your butt :) Seriously, use your back end more to steer. Don't use the brakes much. Put more weight on the front end in turns, let the rear hang out a little. Weigh your outside footpeg, and stick your other leg out to touch down if you need it.

Definitely keep your speed up. Don't go too slow just because you're washing out a little. There's a zone where too slow get you trouble climbing hills or loosing traction, too fast you're really in trouble (Ryan highes speed) and somewhere in the middle you can get through almost anything.

The damper helps with mud related washouts, if you have one, turn up the low speed.

Oh, yeah-always stay on the gas. You don't want the front tire to sink down too far :D

Hope that helps, I don't race, just play ride but I've been "mudding" for quite a few years now.

Other advice...take the countershaft sprocket cover off and leave the kiwi. Mud packs in there instantly. Apply PAM cooking spray to your plastic/frame. Mud won't stick nearly as much.Bring another pair of goggles/gloves and a rag to clean your grips.

• Scott_F

Posted February 26, 2001 - 05:30 PM

I hate mud riding, but it can be fun at times. I find that staying real loose on the bike is the key. You don't want to fight the bike, because it wants to go all over the place. Ride it like a monkey. You can ride mud kinda like sand, lots of throttle and rpms, and less braking.

• Sandracer_uk

Posted February 27, 2001 - 03:46 AM

hey sirhk100

i totally agree with the experiance thing, i actually enjoy riding mud which in the uk is just as well.
i have a great idea,,,,,, we can trade houses for a few months,,,,dont matter which months its always wet here [ oh apart from maybe 12 minutes in late august]...
see wot a nice guy i am,,, i'll suffer the so cal sunshine and ride your bike [just to save it suffering lack of use u understand]
while u brush up on your much needed mud/ rain/cold wheather/extensive use of jet wash experiance.
hell i'll even warm a few beers for u

• forloop

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:10 AM

One thing that does make a big differences is tires. If you are running tires for hard pack tracks they will not work well in the mud. This is very critical for the front. You need a tire that does not collect mud in the knobbies.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• MXOldtimer

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:29 AM

I hate stinking, slimy, rotten mud, I live in the pacific northWET (Oregon) and it 9 months of rain and 2 months of drizzle (why do I live here). You need to keep your speed up to keep the knobs cleaned out otherwise the tires will pack up, there's more traction there than you think if you have clean knobs. Flow, in the turns dont cut and thrust, keep your speed up and arch turns. Stay in a gear taller than normal , two if possible, you want the bike pulling not spinning also work the clutch to keep rpm's up while keeping the rear wheel from spinning. All this stuff sounds pretty good, wish I would practice it, because next time I go to the track I'll just flounder around like the squid I am.

Doug

• Clod_Thrower

Posted February 27, 2001 - 08:36 AM

I'm in Oregon too (I hate mud) I remember one race in Eugene the mud was so thick on my front tire it could not turn at all! That day my bike got so heavy I could not pick it up! (I hate mud) If you ever want real mud come to Oregon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.