2010 YZ450F Dr.D or Yoshimura

10 replies to this topic
  • Marcus731

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:02 AM

I am an intermediate rider and want to put a pipe on my 2010. From people I've talked to and what I've read a pipe should help with the lunge off idle and help add some top end (which is what I want). I have the option of a Dr.D or Yosh system from my sponsor and would like to know if anyone has any experience with these. After reading the Motocross Action test I wonder if the Yosh pipe would give it too much and make it hard to hold on to but I worry that I would regret giving up a few hp with the Dr.D on the starts or wide open tracks. I've had both pipes before and was happy with both of them. If you have either pipe let me know what you think.

• YamaLink

Posted October 19, 2010 - 08:29 AM

My friends are split down the middle on the pipes. They picked based on price and, admittedly, looks. No negative comments on either for their respective needs.

• gfmoto

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:01 PM

I tried the dr.d pipe and it sucked. same for the fmf. I haven't tried the yosh, but it has to be better. I have a MRD slip-on and for the money I can't imagine a better pipe.

• Troutman

Posted October 19, 2010 - 07:38 PM

The Yosh, hands down. Great revs up top.

• lil-717

Posted October 20, 2010 - 12:45 AM

the yosh if only for the fact that its actually shorter and less prone to damage, i have a yosh and love it, sounds unreal and with that and the tuner i love the motor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_vet

Posted October 20, 2010 - 12:49 PM

Totally different bike I know, but I had a Dr.D on my 2009 KX250f and it didn't do anything. I actually liked my stock pipe better and put it back on. Go with the Yosh! And if you do, come back and post how you like it, because I'm considering buying a leftover 2010 YZ450f for next season.

• cdaniels

Posted October 20, 2010 - 02:58 PM

450 Vet....check your pm.

• Marcus731

Posted October 20, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Is anyone using the stock mapping with a pipe?

• Scrubba

Posted October 22, 2010 - 12:35 PM

Is anyone using the stock mapping with a pipe?

im using the stock mapping with the yosh r-4 slip on and it ripps! of course i took out the spark arrester and retainer ring.

Slip on is slighty heavier than stock, maybe a few ounces. but more power everywhere actually makes it easier to ride.(you dont have to search for the sweet spot in a narrower powerband)

no so herky jerky off idle too.

if you know somebody in the industry, wholesale price is $275. still worth retail $350 if you have to.

• dynamike

Posted October 22, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Scrubba - How would you compare the noise level with the Yosh muffler compared to stock? I know many people say you can't hear the exhaust over the intake noise, but I'm interested in keeping the overall sound level down.

• Scrubba

Posted October 23, 2010 - 12:55 PM

Scrubba - How would you compare the noise level with the Yosh muffler compared to stock? I know many people say you can't hear the exhaust over the intake noise, but I'm interested in keeping the overall sound level down.

from the outside, my wife said it sounded not as loud as stock, but from what i am hearing with my helmet on, it sounds fuller and a bit louder, but not annoying loud or anything like that.

the stock yz was quieter than most stock bikes. with the yosh on, it still is quieter than a kx450.

damn, this thing is so good, i wouldnt mind getting the full ti system. but what if i did that and it didnt work the same way? i'll just stick with what works for now. maybe its like the mrd guy said, the stock header is best, only the stock muffler needs to be replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.