Things that make you say "Hmmmm..." - Floating Disk Brakes?

9 replies to this topic
  • rohar

Posted July 03, 2003 - 10:42 AM

OK TT experts. I did a search on this and nothing came up -at least not in the last 6 months.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of using a floating disk brake as opposed to a rigidly mounted one? I'm just curious since WR450 uses a floating front disk and a rigidly mounted rear disk and I was wondering why. Is it because the front disk usually runs hotter since it's used more and takes the brunt of the braking job? Inquiring, bored-at-work-on-the-day-before-the-long-weekend minds want to know... :D

I bow to your expertise :)

• Hick

Posted July 03, 2003 - 12:04 PM

I don't know. But like most other things I'm totaly ignorant of, I have a theory. :)

When I change pads on my pickup (fixed rotor, floating caliper), one pad is always worn more than the other. So I'm thinking a floating rotor allows for more evenly applied pressure to both sides of the rotor, maximizing the stopping potential.

Anyone else?

• DesertChris

Posted July 03, 2003 - 12:05 PM

I had an idea but couldn't find the words to explain it so I found this: http://www.vehiclecr...es/rot_ques.htm
Makes a little more sense to me now too.

• DesertChris

Posted July 03, 2003 - 12:11 PM

Hick,
Your truck has floating calipers, that is why one pad wears more than the other. The piston pushes one pad and pulls on the other, the one in direct contact with the piston gets more wear.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 03, 2003 - 12:38 PM

Anyone else?

I was always under the assumption the floating disc was so it has some flex to it so when you hit rocks its less likley to get bent. :)

Thats what I always thought anyways... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 03, 2003 - 01:30 PM

Hick,
Your truck has floating calipers, that is why one pad wears more than the other. The piston pushes one pad and pulls on the other, the one in direct contact with the piston gets more wear.

Umm, yeah, that is my point, but thanks for the help. Pickup w/ floating caliper exhibits uneven wear across pads, ergo floating disc idea is to allow equal pressure and better braking.

Just my theory, but there it is.

• SFO

Posted July 03, 2003 - 01:36 PM

When the rotor is heated it wants to expand radially.
If it is rigidly mounted this will cause the rotor to distort or potato chip resulting in poor lever feel and pulsing.
The floating rotor allows the rotor to expand radially, independent of the rotor center, and stay flat when it is heated/expanded.
Hope this helps.

• John_H

Posted July 03, 2003 - 04:20 PM

SFO,
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I always wondered about this too. :)

• Mike_Hudson

Posted July 04, 2003 - 03:07 AM

The link in DesertChis's post has it right. The caliper is fixed to the fork tube and the disk to the hub. By allowing the disk to move side to side it ensures the best contact between the two at all times.

• rohar

Posted July 04, 2003 - 05:53 AM

Thanks to DesertChris and all those who replied. "castellated dog-drive"? That just sounds bad... :D

I knew someone on this forum would come up with the answer. Thanks again. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.