water in oil, other places for it to come in other than breather?

2 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted October 18, 2010 - 02:08 PM

Is it possible for a hot engine that's going through a creek or puddle to suck in water through the various mating surfaces of different parts? Like the side cover, clutch cover, etc?

I only ask this because I have now been told by a few different people that you shouldn't wash a hot engine because of this reason, it can suck water in through mating surfaces with regular gaskets.

Can this be completely debunked, or has anyone seen this kind of thing happen before?
Or is it just that water is coming in through the breather tube and that's that?
I have read the breather tube threads and the re-routing thread as well. But regardless of how long the tube is and how it should not be pumping in water unless you are starting the bike submerged, I have still found water in my oil once.

I changed my oil a few changes ago and found that it was very very runny and looked just like chocolate milk... Obviously water was in the oil and even through the site glass on my 450 with the bike running it was brown!
No coolant loss whatsoever and the bike only had about 10 hours on it at the time. I changed the oil and filter and put in new oil. Ran the bike for about 10 minutes until it reached about 90 degrees celcius, let it sit for a few minutes and then changed the oil again.
I remember that ride very well and it was really really wet with lots of water/mud holes and a creek crossing that was about 2 feet deep. I never started the bike submerged and walked it out the one time I stalled in a deep runny mud pit..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 18, 2010 - 02:11 PM

I'd be looking at water pump seal. It could cause some water to leak into the oil.

If that's not it, then head gasket maybe???? If thats not it, then its a really serious problem.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2010 - 03:10 PM

Is it possible for a hot engine that's going through a creek or puddle to suck in water through the various mating surfaces of different parts? Like the side cover, clutch cover, etc?

Nope. It is possible to force small amounts of water past some gaskets (like the one on the cam cover) with a strong enough pressure washer, but the engine won't "suck it in". Myth, busted.

If you aren't loosing coolant, then the only other source is environmental water.

I'd be looking at water pump seal. It could cause some water to leak into the oil.

It can't unless the weep hole has been solidly blocked off in some way. Coolant or oil leaking from either seal escapes to the outside before it reaches the other seal.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.