Ford 4.6 common problems?

11 replies to this topic
  • crider400

Posted October 17, 2010 - 05:28 PM

Im looking at this 2000 f-150 and was asking a mechanic if there was any specific probs with this engine and he said the most probs he sees with this engine is oil pressure problems. This truck only has 84 thousand so thats good, and 5 speed. Anybody have probs with your 4.6? Thanks

• David C

Posted October 17, 2010 - 11:39 PM

I have a 99 F150 with 190,000 miles and my wifes 2000 expedition with 150,000 miles. Both have the 4.6 but one is a ceveland and one is a winsor. Never had a wrench on either one.

• Fracture

Posted October 18, 2010 - 04:59 PM

I have a 99 F150 with 190,000 miles and my wifes 2000 expedition with 150,000 miles. Both have the 4.6 but one is a ceveland and one is a winsor. Never had a wrench on either one.

I thought Cleveland and Windsor described 351 engines of yesteryear.

• Sierra_rider

Posted October 18, 2010 - 05:36 PM

I thought the 4.6 were described as romeo and windsor motors.

• martinfan30

Posted October 19, 2010 - 06:06 AM

Check the passenger rear coil pack for coolant residue. The heater hose above it likes to leak and creep inside the coil. Eventually causing a miss fire.

Also, check the door frames kinda where your elbow would ride with the window down. The power windows like to over torque the frame when closing, causing cracks.

• ba10

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:29 AM

I've got a '99 4X4 with the 4.6 and 5 speed with 98k miles and the only issue I had was a lazy fast idle. It took like 10 seconds when starting in cold weather to come to fast idle. Changed some bypass valve and it has been fine. I burn about a quart of oil between oil changes (3000-4000 miles). Not a particularily powerful motor, but tows an enclosed trailer with 4 bikes ok. Mileage is about 16 in town and 18 on the freeway without the trailer, about 13 with trailer. The 5 speed is kind of crappy, long throws and easy to grind gears, but all in all has been a reliable vehicle. If you don't have high expectations on power, you will probably be happy with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barko1

Posted October 20, 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have a 97, only 108k, never any issues although in a long bed 4x4 it is underpowered at least out West.

• crf150f guy

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:30 PM

I believe the 4.6's(I cant remember if it was the 4.6 or 5.4) two piece spark plug design had a problem with the electrode part of the plug getting stuck in the head while the insulator gets pulled out cleanly. This can be changed by getting a one piece spark plug.

• martinfan30

Posted October 21, 2010 - 01:12 AM

I believe the 4.6's(I cant remember if it was the 4.6 or 5.4) two piece spark plug design had a problem with the electrode part of the plug getting stuck in the head while the insulator gets pulled out cleanly. This can be changed by getting a one piece spark plug.

Two piece spark plug? :excuseme:

Just don't use anti seize on the "one piece" spark plugs during installation. :smirk:

• David C

Posted October 21, 2010 - 05:23 AM

I thought the 4.6 were described as romeo and windsor motors.

Yep your right. A few years ago i use to go on a f150 forum and they had a section where you could look at your door vin and tell what all the numbers and letters meant. I knew that my wife`s motor was different than mine, and as i posted cleveland came to mind. Growing up in the 70`s i guess i was thinking about the 351s.

But the big talk about the plugs over there were on the 5.4s. They seem to blow right out of the head quite often, the 4.6 it seemed rarely if ever.

• kyle450rider

Posted October 23, 2010 - 05:07 PM

I've got a 2000 ford F-150 ext cab 2wheel drive that has 87K on it. The only problem...knock on wood...so far is 2 coils packs that went bad. I picked up all 8 on ebay for 100 bucks and did them all at once. Runs great,gets descent mileage, and been a good truck. My only drawback is that its way underpowered and compared to some of the newer trucks I've driven it seems like the steering isn't as responsive as it could be. I am getting new tires this week, on my 3rd set. I plan on driving this beast until it drops.

• SDK_CRFX_RIDER

Posted October 25, 2010 - 03:11 AM

One thing I noticed with both the 4.6 or 5.4s, is that the head gasket may weep oil from the passanger rear head. If its not too bad then I wouldnt worry about it and buy it. There is a TSB on this issue, and it states there is no cause for concern. But I bought my dads 98 f150 when the head gasket had a noticable oil leak, and I ended up having to change the head gaskets 3 months down the line. The 4.6 is still a rock solid motor, and we hardly run into any problems with them at work. I have only seen the plug blowouts on the 5.4s aswell. As long as your not looking for a big power engine, you will be happy with the 4.6.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.