Oil Strainer

5 replies to this topic
  • AkRider

Posted July 02, 2003 - 07:10 PM

How offten are you cleaning the strainer? I just did my first oil change and could not get the bolt that removes the strainer to move. I did not want to break anything. Thank you

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 02, 2003 - 07:13 PM

i havent even touched it.. it doesnt seem bad for it though because i think the oil comes from the strainer to the oil filter :)

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 03, 2003 - 04:18 AM

I have a 2000 model and I just did mine for the first time and there was no shavings or sludge of any type in it, so I don't think it is that big of a deal. Also I had to use an impact wrench to get the nut loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy920

Posted July 03, 2003 - 11:31 AM

I just took mine out after 4 oil changes, the holes in the screen are as big as chicken wire. I don't think I'll check it more than once a year from here on out!!!

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 03, 2003 - 02:53 PM

i think its just there to catch the big pieces say if a tooth comes out so it doesnt do any damage to the rest of the motor that sounds mostly why they would put it there :) :D

• AkRider

Posted July 03, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info. That's what the dealer said but I trust you guys more.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.