when i stop the engine i can smell burnt oil!!

6 replies to this topic
  • sausage boy

Posted October 16, 2010 - 09:23 AM

ok i have an 08 wr450 that I've owned from new, and for a few years now when i kill the motor i get a faint whiff of burnt oil, it never uses any oil and i have no other problems with it, its just annoying. i started to get this smell no long after i bedded the motor in.
i think i know what the problem is, but i would like any other opinions or input before i tear the motor down :smirk:

• rholbrook

Posted October 16, 2010 - 12:46 PM

My WR did the same thing. I had used different synthetic oil than I usually did. I switched back to my normal oil and it was fine again.

• sausage boy

Posted October 16, 2010 - 11:07 PM

I've never run synthetic oil in my enduro bikes, I've always run yamlube or recently rotella T, I've never had any problems with any of my other bikes. i found out after i had bedded the motor in that the dealer i bought my 08 from had put synthetic oil in the bike from new! so now I'm thinking the rings didn't bed in properly, and I'm getting a little blow past on the oil scraper ring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted October 18, 2010 - 06:01 AM

I've never run synthetic oil in my enduro bikes, I've always run yamlube or recently rotella T, I've never had any problems with any of my other bikes. i found out after i had bedded the motor in that the dealer i bought my 08 from had put synthetic oil in the bike from new! so now I'm thinking the rings didn't bed in properly, and I'm getting a little blow past on the oil scraper ring.

Shell Rotella has a very distinctive 'burnt' oil smell to it - I run it and have learned to live with it. The smell is a lot more pronounced with my WR400 where the crank vents (through the hose that comes out the valve cover) to the open atmosphere, as opposed to my 07 WR450 that's more of a closed system and vents into the air box. But, regardless of which bike I ride, the smell is ever present after a ride. Nothing to worry about, IMHO:thumbsup:

• crooks420

Posted October 18, 2010 - 04:31 PM

My 05 WR450 does the same. I always use Honda oil, regular oil changes, air filter cleaning, and valve checks. It does not "use" any oil. I think its normal.

Jesse

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 19, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Shell Rotella has a very distinctive 'burnt' oil smell to it - I run it and have learned to live with it. The smell is a lot more pronounced with my WR400 where the crank vents (through the hose that comes out the valve cover) to the open atmosphere, as opposed to my 07 WR450 that's more of a closed system and vents into the air box. But, regardless of which bike I ride, the smell is ever present after a ride. Nothing to worry about, IMHO:thumbsup:

Thats exactly it. :excuseme:

• sausage boy

Posted October 21, 2010 - 10:41 AM

My 05 WR450 does the same. I always use Honda oil, regular oil changes, air filter cleaning, and valve checks. It does not "use" any oil. I think its normal.

Jesse

my 05 never did, thats why i was thinking it was not right. i always change the oil every ride if i do a full day or every 2 rides if not, and the air filter every ride. also my 08 does not feel as powerfully as my 05 not by a long way..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.