California-Southern

Ocotillo Wells and Spark Arrestors

25 replies to this topic
  • OCpurp

Posted October 15, 2010 - 09:14 PM

Question, i'm heading to Ocotillo in the morning and was wondering if they have been patrolling a lot out there and checking for spark arrestors as i just bought a new 450 which still has the stock exhaust w/ no s.a.

• Bill_P

Posted October 16, 2010 - 09:24 AM

You will be cuffed, arrested, thrown in jail, mirandized, put in holding with other "purps" and fined so heavily that the cost of your bike will look like childs play. By the time you get out you will have paid tens of thousands for attorneys, and your bike's impound fee will be more than you paid for it.

Why do you want to ride it without a S/A???

• cleonard

Posted October 16, 2010 - 11:02 AM

You will be cuffed, arrested, thrown in jail, mirandized, put in holding with other "purps" and fined so heavily that the cost of your bike will look like childs play. By the time you get out you will have paid tens of thousands for attorneys, and your bike's impound fee will be more than you paid for it.

Why do you want to ride it without a S/A???

:smirk:

Get a S/A. It is required on all public land in this state with no exceptions. If the BLM gets you it's not very expensive. If a BLM cop ranger (has a firearm) or Sheriff gets you it will be around $800 as you will get a California citation as opposed to a federal citation.

I'm no laywer, and I'm not offering legal advice. The way I read the laws all you need to do is get some fine screen and a hose clamp. Wrap the screen around the end of the pipe and secure it with a hose clamp around the body of the pipe. Meets California law.

38366. (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in effective working order.

(:p A spark arrester affixed to the exhaust system of a vehicle subject to this section shall not be placed or mounted in such a manner as to allow flames or heat from the exhaust system to ignite any flammable material.

© A spark arrester is a device constructed of nonflammable materials specifically for the purpose of removing and retaining carbon and other flammable particles over 0.0232 of an inch in size from the exhaust flow of an internal combustion engine or which is qualified and rated by the United States Forest Service.

(d) Subdivision (a) shall not be applicable to vehicles being operated off the highway in an organized racing or competitive event upon a closed course, which is conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body and by permit issued by the fire protection authority having jurisdiction.

Added Ch. 1027, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988.

Looks like a fine screen made of metal that the mesh is smaller than the .0232 will meet 38366©. Notice that it says "or" when talking about USFS approved spark arrester.

• Bill_P

Posted October 16, 2010 - 12:32 PM

It's too late Carl, the orange county purp has alread left the building, and is headed for OW before getting your message. If they give him internet access in lockup, we'll be getting PM's about bail bondsmen and picking up his bike for him at impound.....

• crfxer

Posted October 16, 2010 - 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CVC38366
38366. (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in effective working order.

First off, I have S/A on all my bikes and its the first thing I get if I get a bike that does not have one
That part right there makes it fairly vague. If you are in the dez with nothing but sand and rock and an occasional bush seems like it wouldn't apply. They leave a loophole for people to think or choose when to have one. They should say "Anywhere in the state of Kaliforny except on closed circuit courses" if that is how they are going to enforce it

• Bill_P

Posted October 16, 2010 - 12:40 PM

They should say "Anywhere in the state of Kaliforny except on closed circuit courses" if that is how they are going to enforce it

That IS how it is enforced. And how it's intended from anything I've ever heard.

So......should we start with the donations for OCP's bail yet??? :smirk::smirk:

• Fasz Kalap

Posted October 16, 2010 - 12:48 PM

do i need a sparky to ride glamis and pismo?

• doc8m

Posted October 16, 2010 - 01:43 PM

do i need a sparky to ride glamis and pismo?

only when you're riding in closed areas where you are in danger if igniting a milk vetch inferno.

you should also be careful, in the Yuha area, of the risk of flaming an ocotillo plant, which, in turn would be sure to roast and bring to extinction, the entire horny toad population in the Sonoran desert.

• OCpurp

Posted October 25, 2010 - 05:09 PM

thx for the advise. Ocotillo was sick and i had a great time, no problems with the patrol at all. Also, didn't burn anything up. looking for a pipe n sparky now for next wkend...

• Bill_P

Posted October 25, 2010 - 06:51 PM

thx for the advise. Ocotillo was sick and i had a great time, no problems with the patrol at all. Also, didn't burn anything up. looking for a pipe n sparky now for next wkend...

:excuseme::thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • volwrath

Posted October 25, 2010 - 07:06 PM

U do not need an S/A for Ocotillo! Been going there for years, its pretty common information for locals.

• Bill_P

Posted October 25, 2010 - 07:10 PM

U do not need an S/A for Ocotillo! Been going there for years, its pretty common information for locals.

I think your local buddies are mis-informed :

Originally Posted by CVC38366

Even the dunes have brush around them. Of course, it's always up to the disgression of the LEO as to whether or not to enforce.

• Scuba_Steve

Posted October 25, 2010 - 08:49 PM

I'm a little off the subject, but is anyone heading out to Ocotillo this weekend? I wanna go riding but none of my buddies can make it. Lemme know!

• Coolidge

Posted October 27, 2010 - 03:02 PM

Sounds like your friends are using the "its not illegal, if you dont get caught"
theory? One Ranger will change your mind pretty quick. All my bikes have S.A.'s and yes Ive been stopped by Rangers to check

• BOLT Performance

Posted October 27, 2010 - 10:21 PM

Sounds like your friends are using the "its not illegal, if you dont get caught"
theory? One Ranger will change your mind pretty quick. All my bikes have S.A.'s and yes Ive been stopped by Rangers to check

You have State Park Rangers ... and BLM Rangers (one in particular that will write you for breathing wrong)... and Sheriffs working OT on Holidays just looking for an excuse to have an altercation.

Truthfully there is just no reason to not slap a screen in that biotch. It doesn't have to be expensive... costs you NO power loss... doesn't even need rejetting !

You may go your lifetime without getting caught. But be clear: You are relying on luck and karma cause the law is NOT on your side on this one. :excuseme:

• volwrath

Posted October 27, 2010 - 10:32 PM

haha maybe I should correct myself. Its common knowledge that they do not check at ocotillo... Sure its the moral thing to get an s/a but if u don't have one and am going u will be fine!

• rusky

Posted October 28, 2010 - 09:22 AM

I'm a little off the subject, but is anyone heading out to Ocotillo this weekend? I wanna go riding but none of my buddies can make it. Lemme know!

I'm going with a big group of people. Take a left onto Cahuilla Trail after the Blue Inn, then a right onto Commune Road. We will be the last camp on the left before the road starts curving to the left. The group is starting to get together on Thursday afternoon, I'll be there Friday afternoon.

I've been riding in ocotillo for years without a spark arrestor and havent had any problems. I've even gotten pulled over so that they could check my registration and such but they never said a thing about me not having a spark arrestor. You should be fine.

• Bill_P

Posted October 28, 2010 - 12:35 PM

I've been riding in ocotillo for years without a spark arrestor and havent had any problems. I've even gotten pulled over so that they could check my registration and such but they never said a thing about me not having a spark arrestor. You should be fine.

Things like that are best left for PM's, as this is a public site that is monitored by people that would do pretty much anything (including twisting your quotes) to make sure that you no longer have the privalege to ride Ocotillo.

• Dust_Devil

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:48 AM

everybody knows a sparky is just like a pink powerband......50% more power.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 30, 2010 - 09:00 AM

Funny this thread comes up now. A couple of friends got tickets yesterday afternoon at Plaster City for ... you guessed it...no spark arrestor. Don't know all the details yet but appears the BLM was going camp to camp. All my bikes have a SA but in 30+ years of riding the desert I've never been checked except in places like Kennedy Meadows. Guess that's changing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.