Best Large Capacity Tank?

17 replies to this topic
  • enmerdeur

Posted February 24, 2001 - 05:10 AM

I am going to get a large gas tank for my 99' YZ400. Any suggestions on the best one? Acerbis?IMS?Clarke?Ty Davis?

• dirtdad

Posted February 24, 2001 - 06:02 AM

check this out http://www.yamahausa...cess_frame.html

• yzernie

Posted February 24, 2001 - 10:50 PM

my friends who have them like the IMS.
yzernie

• Michael

Posted February 25, 2001 - 04:52 PM

I just went through this....here is what I found (these are all about 3.2 gal):

Clark (about $150) - lowest price - but they have their name in the side of the tank - and I think the fit finish is maybe not the best of the breed (though they are not supposed to be bad)

IMS (about $190) - good tank with nice lines. It is only attached with the left side bolts. This is not an attachment issue (many people ride with these and have had no problems). I had concerns with how I'd fit my works connection radiator guards.

Ty Davis ($????) - Narrowest of the lot, but hangs way down and restricts access to the carb (hot start and choke) and has a cut-out for the kick starting. Just didn't appeal to me.

Acerbis (about $175) This is the one that is shown on the Yamaha site (and the one I ordered). Similar in width to the YZ tank. Comes with a trick Machined Cap, and an alloy top section that can be replaced with a dry break. Comes with dual petcocks. They are doing a redesign to improve clearance up top for a scotts damper, and to provide better access to the carb on the left side.

That is what I think I know....... Good Luck - your results may vary! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 28, 2001 - 11:18 AM

Definately go with the clarke......
petcock is on the left instead of the right sidee mounted backwards like the IMS and it is 40 bucks cheaper.
I have had one for 2 yrs and no problems with it. NATURAL color nos stains!!!
narrower thatn the Acerbis and ImS also
no probs w/scotts dampner either.
I race desert and can do about 110-118 on this one at race pace.
AWESOME
$.02
G4

• Patman

Posted March 01, 2001 - 04:55 PM

Acerbis is the only way to go. I checked them all out, pay the cash get the best.

• jj

Posted March 01, 2001 - 08:45 PM

Clarke makes a great tank. Love mine.

Oh, yea, I haven't had any yellowing of my tank graphics... :) nock on wood :D :D

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• enmerdeur

Posted March 03, 2001 - 01:37 PM

I went with the Clarke. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the posts.

• Taffy

Posted March 03, 2001 - 02:54 PM

i'm with the clarke, i can't compare but i love what i got.

if i understand correctly the tyu davis could be a better tank for racing but not for finish of product.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted March 05, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Doesn't Cycra make a YZ tank? Has anyone tried that one? I refuse to buy a Clarke after the way they treated me a few years ago. I will probably go Acerbis for my WR250. The Ty Davis I use for HS on my 426 does not fit. The kickstarter is changed and will not fit in the tank recess.

• Hick

Posted March 05, 2001 - 02:20 PM

Originally posted by mikeolichney:
Doesn't Cycra make a YZ tank?

Not for the thumper(s). When I asked last year their were no plans to add this to their product line.

• Unkle_Moose

Posted March 05, 2001 - 02:58 PM

Hey Michael Thanks for having your new ACERBIS Tank shipped to my work. I will let you know how well it fits on my WR426F 01
Thanks your B n Law

P.S. i can I get your new seat also.

• Michael

Posted March 05, 2001 - 08:55 PM

Good thing your sister wanted to yell at me about buying a new tank - so she brought it home as evidence before you could install it! :)

It is a very nice tank! Fits very well, and uses all the stock mounts. I'll add some pictures in the next day or two

• enmerdeur

Posted March 06, 2001 - 02:28 PM

Just got done mounting my new Clarke and it is nice. Fit and finish is great. I set it up with two petcocks so I don't have to do the leaning and sloshing deal to use the full capacity. Looks great, fits great! Utah West Desert here I come!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 06, 2001 - 02:42 PM

en .................
where and when do you ride usually?
KNOLLS?
Buzzards 24mar01?
7H
G4racing

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• enmerdeur

Posted March 06, 2001 - 03:29 PM

I am down in Utah Valley (American Fork) so I have mostly been out to Five Mile Pass, Dugway, etc. I have been wanting to make it out to Knolls. I have only recently started riding again and am somewhat new to Utah riding. Any info you could pass to me would be appreciated.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 06, 2001 - 05:50 PM

en..........
try the knolls.......
awesome
sand/hills/whoops/single track/flats/jumps/etc
a little bit of everything
careful with the mudflats.......

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• techman

Posted March 09, 2001 - 05:32 PM

Wooohoooo guys!!!!! Got it from Ty himself, the pipe-fitting spin-out from overtorquing problem has been redesigned on all the in-stock tanks! It's now like a normal petcock, machine screws and an O-ring, no spin! They're made by IMS, a pretty reputable company.

Petcock's on the left, as per normal, there's just a cross-over tube.

Skinny seats for me! Now it's time for original YZ skinny with WR range!

There's a slightly different revision soon coming out for the YZ250F because the kick starter is slightly different than the 426.

Check out www.terrycable.com, Zip-Ty tools page two for pictures of it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.